PlantFiles: Ginger, Common Ginger, Cooking Ginger, Canton
Zingiber officinale

Family: Zingiberaceae
Genus: Zingiber (zing-ee-ber) (Info)
Species: officinale (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-lee) (Info)

Bulbs

By AmyMorie
Thumbnail #7 of Zingiber officinale by AmyMorie

Negative eliasastro On Aug 15, 2014, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Grew it in pots. It didn't flower. The leaves didn't look good but withered on the edges. It is an evergreen and doesn't like to be kept cool and wet during dormancy. Near freezing temperatures kill it for sure. Better to be kept dry and stored at room temperature in winter.

Positive AmyMorie On Jul 14, 2012, AmyMorie from Green Cove Springs, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grew this from organic store bought rhizomes and moved it from the original location after about six months. I threw a bit of root that didn't look healthy into a wooded edge behind my house too, and now have it coming up in all three spots! All in sandy soil, two enriched with composted dairy cow manure and in the wood edge enriched by leaf litter (this latter plant is in poison ivy, so won't be harvesting it!).
It really seems happier in a site with less ammendment, almost pure sand, and as of July 2012 (after record rainfalls for a month) it is flowering!!!! We harvest by pulling soil away from the root and cutting off as much as needed, then push the soil back onto the plant

Neutral woofess On Nov 6, 2011, woofess from Upper Swan, FM (Zone 10a) wrote:

I am still trying to grow it. I did notice that it tends to grow in swampy areas in Hong Kong and Asia... around the edges of ponds etc.
We have a problem with severely hot summers in Western Australia and no rain and tap water is rationed. I am considering moving it to an old bath tub and keeping the soil continually wet in it.
regards
W:)

Neutral SpaceCase418 On Mar 9, 2011, SpaceCase418 from Annapolis, MD wrote:

If i plant this in zone 7 would the cold stop it from being invasive if i missed a rhizome after harvest?

Positive Nick1 On Apr 27, 2009, Nick1 from Plainfield, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I started this plant several years ago in a sheltered position in Zone 6b. It comes up every year, each time over a larger area, but dies back to the ground in the winter. Nice looking foliage plus you get your own ginger.

Negative concretephil On Jan 12, 2009, concretephil from Osprey, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grow this plant on the north side of my home between the wall and a concrete curb. I'm glad that it's contained because I gave some to a neighbor who planted it in the open and it took off like a rocket. After a lot of Roundup, digging and a bunch of blue words he finall got rid of it.
Plant it only where it can be contained!
It's a beautiful plant but it dies back in December/January, leaving a lot of dead stalks laying on the ground which have to be cut off to be disposed of.
Got my start from a root I bought in the store, wanted to make sure I got the edible kind and was safe to use.

Positive katsu On Apr 21, 2007, katsu from Columbus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew Ginger as an annual in a pot on our deck last year. It didn't bloom, of course, but the foliage is very pretty and asian-looking. We had about five plants in one pot. Just get a fresh hand of ginger with a bud or two and plant very shallow, as in the pictures. Very cool plant!

Positive deekayn On Nov 29, 2006, deekayn from Tweed Coast
Australia wrote:

Freshly grated flesh of the rhizome into a cup of hot water is great if you are feeling cold - warms you up

Positive foodiesleuth On May 9, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

The area where I live is surrounded with small fields of ginger. Even though our rainfall average is one of the highest in the world, the ginger seems to thrive here. During harvest time you can see the farm trucks of all sizes, loaded up to the gills with plastic laundry baskets or crates of ginger being taken to be shipped.

I have grown some ginger in my yard just for the fun of it, but since it is so cheaply and readily available here, with neighbors even sharing some of theirs with us, I don't grow it for use.

The taste of the very tender, just dug, when the skin is still slightly pinkish ginger is undescribable.

Positive cinemike On May 8, 2004, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

Last summer I noticed that an old wizened piece of ginger had a bud, so I slapped it into a pot with some of my best compost, and it has rewarded me with a very fine plant. This is the sort of thing that children might like to do...

Positive Michaelp On Nov 8, 2003, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like to grow this -it is easy and very reliable-the blooms are small but very nice-it has few pests and if grown in real dirt,it will always taste much better than chemicaly grown supermarket gingers-this is very prolific,and can be grown in containers-or in a well lighted window.if grown in the house the smell is wonderful esp. when in bloom. Michael-[Florida-32182]

Muang Chiang Rai,