Hardy Gladiolus, Dwarf Gladiolus 'Atom'

Gladiolus nanus

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gladiolus (GLAD-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: nanus (NAN-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Atom
» View all varieties of Gladiolus

Flowers are good for cutting

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Fate, Texas

Lufkin, Texas

Putney, Vermont

On Jul 31, 2015, hostqueen from Rockford, IL wrote:

My best friend texted me a picture of her Atom. She wasn't even sure what it was. I search the web until I found it. She had never seen it in her garden before.The amazing thing is that it wintered over in our zone 5 with just a mulch cover. We had chill factors of below -30, and night-time temps of -26. I will be purchasing some of these for myself.

On Mar 9, 2010, elder85 from Bucyrus, OH wrote:

I have grown 'Atom' for two years. I left the corms in the ground after the first season. We had the coldest winter temperatures in 20 years, down to minus 18 F, but with a heavy snowcover. All the corms survived, and the flowers more than doubled the second season. They are growing in a heavy clay-loam.

On Jun 3, 2009, MavisFlowers from Lufkin, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wonderful, easy to grow glad with bright eye-catching blooms. Needs some staking but well worth it. The blooms are long lasting and heat tolerant. They are the first of a number of hybrid glads to bloom in my yard, right after my Byzantine glads. Highly recommended!

On Aug 16, 2008, Sneirish from Swansea, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This was my first year with these glads, and I was amazed at just how gorgeous they were when they bloomed. The vivid color was a definite eye-catcher. But I need to tell their story:

I bought these bulbs from Gurney's and they were labelled as "Redwing Butterfly" Gladiolus. When they bloomed they were true to the photo and description on their website. However, when I tried to find them in plant files, they weren't there. BUT, I saw the photos of this "Atom" and they were exactly the same. After a post to the Plant ID forum, we all decided that Gurney's had made up their own name for these, since there are no Glads with the registered name of "Redwing Butterfly." So I am posting my photo here and I am calling them "Atom." =o)

On Aug 16, 2007, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

A beautiful glad, much admired by all who saw it in the garden or in the vase. This was the first of six varieties in our garden to bloom this season.

On Jun 7, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

So vibrant and beautiful!

On Jul 24, 2006, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This delicate, picotee-edged mini glad is breathtaking! Its tall, slim profile necessitates staking, though, if it's to survive to fully bloom to the top. Doesn't keep in a vase as long as regular glads...maybe 3-4 days.