PlantFiles: Double Narcissus, Double Daffodil
Narcissus 'Golden Ducat'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Narcissus (nar-SIS-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Ducat

» View all varieties of Daffodils

Division:
Division 4 - Double

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Flowers are good for cutting

By Baa

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #6 of Narcissus  by kniphofia

By greenthumb99
Thumbnail #7 of Narcissus  by greenthumb99

Positive SunnyBorders On May 17, 2009, SunnyBorders from Aurora, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Here, weak stem with heavy head - floppy as said below.
However, very pretty and worth staking.

Positive buggycrazy On Mar 25, 2009, buggycrazy from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

A spectacular large bloom, performs well here where many doubles typically blast, and it is normal for the all of the double bloomers to fall over during our rainy, windy springs. This and all of our daffodils did superbly during the spring of 2008, when we were unusually cold and wetter than normal, many of or daffodils never looked so good as they did that year, snow, sleet and frost did them good. Golden Ducat has been a good performer here since I started growing it, it has never blasted, but after 2008 I see that many of our daffodils would much prefer a colder spring than we usually have.

Negative bill805 On May 10, 2007, bill805 from Woodstock

This is my first year with this plant. I planted about 50 bulbs last fall. They are beginning to bloom now in May, but the heads of the flowers droop over and touch the ground with no apparent way to right them. This was caused by a very light rain. They're a beautiful flower, but I will be removing them after this season. No use in keeping a flower that doesn't want to display itself to all.

Negative mboston On May 25, 2006, mboston from Granville, NY wrote:

I have always loved daffodils because they are so easy to grow. I planted Golden Ducat thinking it would be a nice change from all the regular trumpet shaped daffodils we have. I was so disappointed after a long winter to be greeted by flowers that bent their stems and put their faces in the dirt as soon as they bloomed. It just looked depressing. I would recommend sticking with daffodils with stronger stems, since the springtime is known to be windy (April showers, etc.) and these guys can't take it.

Negative ineedacupoftea On Nov 2, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

I am afraid that I am not the only person in my area whose flowers consistently blast every year. (The flowers dry up before they open.) Whatever displeases it does not affect other Narcissus in the same soil. I try my hardest to kill the remnants of them that survive.

Positive tabasco On May 11, 2005, tabasco from Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

These big eye-catchers bloomed late in our garden--after most of the other narcissus (except Poeticus). Made a nice bulb garden with blue Camassia and emerging golden edged hosta.

Also bloomed with n. 'baby moon' and dwarf and intermediate border iris.

They are tall and can be floppy if not in a protected site.

Neutral nevadagdn On Mar 24, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this variety in Kansas in an exposed area of the garden. It has a beautiful flower, but it does not cope well with wind.

Positive carolann On May 9, 2004, carolann from Auburn, NH wrote:

This bulb loves very, very cold winters - I planted these three years ago when we moved into this house, and this is their first year of bloom - and we just had a first subzero, long icy winter in three years - well worth the wait!

Neutral Baa On Mar 30, 2003, Baa wrote:

Division IV Double flowered Daffodil cultivar.

Has golden yellow, double flowers that can reach 4.5 inches across.

Flowers Late March - April

Loves a well drained soil in full sun or dappled shade and will form clumps where happy.

The flowers can get so heavy on the stalk that they sometimes need staking to prevent them from falling into the soil.

Heber Springs, Arkansas