PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'German Striped'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: German Striped
Additional cultivar information: (aka Striped German)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

By Lilypon
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Lilypon

By mgarr
Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by mgarr

Neutral idealpeggy On Aug 21, 2013, idealpeggy from Lexington, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'm giving this a "Neutral" even though it has an AMAZING taste. It seems that mine and my daughter's (which were seedlings I raised), spoiled very quickly. They got little spots almost immediately, which rapidly became big spots and ruined the whole fruit. This was one of the best tasting tomatoes I ever grew, but I'm afraid I'm deleting it from my list for next year. I just can't waste the garden real estate on something that spoils so quickly :(.

Neutral papayaman On Jun 2, 2013, papayaman from Los Altos, CA wrote:

I grew what was called at my nursery a "Striped German" last year (2012). The fruits did not come until mid to late summer, but eventually the plant was very productive. Note that the tomatoes are prone to cracking, and you must be judicious in supporting branches; otherwise, these very heavy tomatoes can bring large branches down. Finally, I would note that I found the aesthetics of the tomato more appealing than the taste, but I'm sure some prefer a mild, rather watery flavor in their tomatoes.

Positive MagdaOR On Jun 22, 2009, MagdaOR from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

Grew 16 different varieties of tomatoes last summer, and this one was my favorite. Beautiful color is a blend of deep yellows and oranges. Very juicy and delicious, with a complex, lingering flavor. Produces a good amount of large tomatoes.

Positive wadefromnj On Aug 2, 2005, wadefromnj from Englishtown, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

Heavy bearer of mostly 1+ lb fruits. I just LOVE the color which is equally beautiful inside.

Neutral Big_Red On Dec 25, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Old heirloom from Hampshire County, Germany. This incredible red and yellow bi-color pumped out some huge 2 1/2 pound fruits. When sliced, it has a scarlet sunburst pattern radiating from it's center. Mild sweet flesh.

Positive selkie_B On Mar 10, 2004, selkie_B from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

HUGE, bushy plants, requiring abundant water. I grew these in Earth Boxes since I don't have much garden space, and they fill them and the extra supportive trellaces to over-flowing. Fruits can be sliced for sandwiches with their complex and excellent flavor, frozen, and are a nice addition mixed with paste tomatoes for an amazing sauce to can. Heavy bearers, do split some, best to fully ripen inside.

Positive kristenb On Apr 19, 2003, kristenb from Sunnyvale, CA wrote:

2002 was my first year growing the Striped German. It reminded me a lot of the Marizol Gold (both in looks and taste), but it produced much earlier (and more fruit). I had one that was well over two pounds, most were around one pound. They split a bit, but were overall very hearty.

Los Altos, California