Persian Fritillary

Fritillaria persica

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fritillaria (frit-il-AR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: persica (PER-see-kuh) (Info)

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Soquel, California

Fairfax, Virginia

Shoreline, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Apr 22, 2008, cacTYEpete9 from Chester, NY wrote:

I finally found out today (4/22/08, Earth Day) what this plant was. I have had it for for 4 years, and it has bloomed every year I have had it. This year was the most prolific with 5 stalks of Maroon/Brown flowers and two stalks of white flowers. It is always the 1st plant to bloom in my garden....

On Jul 2, 2006, Corgi_Lily from Lowell, MI wrote:

My 4 year old bulbs have bloomed every year but this one, and I am in zone 5. They are in a mostly shaded, sandy loam spot on a slope. The stems have always leaned to the sun, so I may move them.. if I can find them. So far, no critter problems- but they are very near tasty hosta; a deer favorite. In late May I was at Mackinac Island, considerably farther north than I and there was a stunning clump of these in a full sun flower bed at the Grand Hotel. I will be getting more just to reproduce the glorious effect.

On Mar 25, 2005, sevensisters from Soquel, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grew well right away. Put it in gopher wire basket to protect the juicy bulb but since I picked it from a deer-proof list (you see where this is going) I planted it out in the open. Bloomed nicely for a week; then got munched.

On Mar 24, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant bloomed poorly for me the first year, but this year it has two nice bloom stalks. It's on top of a sand mound covered in rock, in the same sort of conditions that Eremurus stenophylla, Perovskia spp., Achillea 'Moonbeam', Agave parryi and Penstemon palmeri enjoy. In short--VERY dry.

On Dec 7, 2004, greymom from toledo, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bloomed poorly the first year, and while the foliage continues to come up ever since for 5 years, it has never bloomed again. My yellow sand could not be more well-drained.

On Apr 1, 2003, Baa wrote:

A bulbous perennial from Turkey.

Has light green almoust glaucous, lance shaped leaves borne alternately on the stem. Bears conical spikes of brownish green to dark purple, bell shaped flowers.

Flowers April - June

Loves a very well drained soil in full sun and likes the weather warm. Dislikes wet soil and simply won't survive in poorly drained soils.