PlantFiles: Carrot
Daucus carota 'Nantes Half Long'

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Daucus (DO-kus) (Info)
Species: carota (kar-OH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nantes Half Long

» View all varieties of Carrots

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Not Applicable

By mtilton
Thumbnail #1 of Daucus carota by mtilton

By dmj1218
Thumbnail #2 of Daucus carota by dmj1218

Positive mcgerm On Aug 25, 2009, mcgerm from Galesburg, MI wrote:

I never have much luck with carrots, but I always keep trying them. In late-May I carelessly spread two packets of seed over the area where some spring lettuce had just finished, and to my surprise I just picked a half-bushel of carrots in mid-August. I steamed some the day I picked them to go with a dinner for friends. The hit is usually my famous London Broil, but the carrots stole the show!

Positive dmj1218 On Mar 6, 2009, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a pretty good heirloom carrot; as with all the heirloom carrots, they taste better if picked when small.

Positive dave On Apr 2, 2003, dave wrote:

As carrots go, I think that the Nantes carrots are the best you can get, in terms of flavor. They are shorter than many other varieties, and are not tapered. The color is a deeper orange and the flavor is a very strong "carroty" flavor.

Texas A&M reports that Nantes holds up against heat better than most other carrot varieties, although I cannot verify this.

Galesburg, Michigan