Dichondra, Kidney Weed
Dichondra repens

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dichondra (dy-KON-druh) (Info)
Species: repens (REE-penz) (Info)

Groundcovers

Pale Green

Cream/Tan

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

El Sobrante, California

North Zulch, Texas

Sweeny, Texas

Vancouver, Washington

On Aug 10, 2013, enca33 from Vancouver, WA wrote:

Last spring I decided I was tired of our regular lawn, or more appropriately, mowing our lawn. We proceeded to get our sod removed and planted Dichondra repens. It did take a while to seed, and where it has grown in, is really quite beautiful. Our only issue is with weeds, primarily clover, that are popping back up. As Dichondra is a broadleaf, you cannot use any spray to get rid of the clover and it has to be removed by hand. If you go this route, make sure to over your areas for weeds at least a few times a week, or you will regret it later! We live in the PNW, so we get a lot of rain and the Dichondra loves it.

On Jul 5, 2013, leisurelady from Brent, FL wrote:

I am trying to get this to cover my front yard. I bought seed from OutsidePride along with a herbicide to kill off grass
and weeds. One side of my yard is almost fully covered
and hoping to get both sides covered by the end of this summer. It is a native plant in the area and I really don't mind if a few dollar weeds come up amongst it as I mow
it about once every six weeks. So far no critter damage but I am told gophers like it. I should have prepared my
soil bed better and put down the weed killer first but got
impatient so now I have to just hope I can keep the few
weeds that are left will be killed by their weed killer. I
loved that it stayed green all winter and is growing in
Pensacola sand.

On May 26, 2012, QueenThumb from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

A few years ago I saw this happy little "weed" in my yard. Put a bit of it in a pot to see what would do. Had no idea what it was though. After seeing it fill the pot with its lovely, uniform leaves and low height, I did some online snooping. Finally found out it was dichondra and its alternate name is, adorably, "Ponyfoot." Purchased a one pound bag of seeds online, followed instrux and they've popped up between pavers on a path I put in, filling the space between with a truly low-growing, lush green.
In fact, I have a few small pots of what I call 'appealing weeds' that I've dug out of the yard: cheery little variants of wild portulacas, and a mini red sweet-pea-flower-like plant.

On Jan 6, 2012, Gaditoman from Cadiz
wrote:

I've just planted D. Repens as ground cover in my very sunny and summer-parched garden in southern Spain. Is this a good idea?

On Jul 13, 2010, AmyMorie from Green Cove Springs, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I really like this ground cover in Jacksonville, FL USA. Pretty and carefree
I hope that with some encouragement it will be a no-mow lawn replacer!

On Jul 17, 2009, Forrest817 from Memphis, TN wrote:

This stuff came up voluntarily in one of my flower beds - I think it may have hitched a ride home on something else.

All I know is that I can NOT get rid of it. Every time I think I have gotten it all, it pops back up.--On the other hand, it makes a very good, cute ground cover (like little lily pads) so i just decided to give up and let it have a small area.

On Mar 22, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Dichondra repens leaves have green undersides; whereas, Asian kidney weed (Dichondra micrantha) leaves have a grayish undersides.

On Aug 22, 2004, salvia_lover from Modi'in
Israel wrote:

I absolutely love this groundcover. Although it is reported to be less rugged than 'regular' grass, I've found the opposite to be true. Thsi stuff can withstand kids playing on it constantly, too much water, too little water, hot sun, shade, whatever you want to throw at it. In hotter, dryer environments, it simply grows shorter and the leaves are smaller. In shade and wetter soil, it grows taller and the leaves get bigger. But it's nearly impossible to kill it. The only thing that ever came close for me killing it was accidentally spilling dry fertilizer on it. But even that only turned the spot brown for 2 weeks and then it came back as beautiful as before. I have nothing but positive things to say about this stuff.

I did want to add that this is perhaps more commonly list... read more

On Apr 3, 2003, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

We were told that years ago, our house had a dichondra lawn. Even now, when we clear out grass for a flower bed or vegetable garden, some dichondra will sprout. I have never seen it bloom, but it keeps coming back. Rather than seeing it as a weed, I see it as a link to the past history of the house. A few streets away from us there was a house that had a dichondra lawn until recently. The yard was above the level of the street, and from the sidewalk, the lawn was just about at eye level. It was like looking across a lake covered with tiny lily pads.

On Apr 3, 2003, Ulrich from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

This is used as lawns in frostfree regions.
Propagation is by seeds or plugs, same as grass.