Golden Ragwort, Golden Groundsel, Squaw Weed

Packera aurea

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Packera (PAK-er-uh) (Info)
Species: aurea (AW-re-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Senecio aureus

Plano, Texas

Leesburg, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

On Dec 4, 2015, Sequoiadendron4 from Lititz, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

What a delightful spring bloomer for the shade. The plants have evergreen leaves, almost heart shaped. They are not bothered by heavy shade as the one patch I have was shaded by a tricyrtis all summer and is still there after I cut the tricyrtis down for the fall. I don't think they spread as rapidly by seed as some have written. Mine is very obedient so far and only spreads mildly by seed, I'd actually like for it to spread a little more than it does. This spring I took all the seed heads and dispersed them about the garden. Hopefully next spring they will grow and take off. Lovely yellow flowers held about a foot above the foliage in the spring. They stay nice for a week or two. This is definitely a plant that does not need any extra care.

On Apr 28, 2012, Clint07 from Bethlehem, PA wrote:

It's quite attractive with leaves that were evergreen in my Zone 6 shady plot. It was too successful; after a year, I ripped it out before it took over the whole bed. Transplanted it to a place where it couldn't spread so that I could enjoy its beauty safely.

On Feb 24, 2011, kperrine from Aiken, SC wrote:

Seen and photographed in the Hitchcock Woods, Aiken, SC

On Jul 12, 2007, FORDSON from BLYTH,
United Kingdom wrote:

WE WOULD NOT GROW THIS PLANT IN OUR GARDEN. IT IS VERY INVASIVE, OUR LOCAL COUNCIL LAST SUMMER HAD SQUADS OF EMPLOYEES UPROOTING THIS PLANT, WHICH GROWS WILD ON THE SEAFRONT AND SAND DUNE AREA . I BELIEVE THE REASON FOR THIS IS THAT THE PLANT IS DEADLY POISONOUS TO HORSES WHEN IT IS IN THE WILT STAGE.

On Apr 3, 2007, agebhart from Wichita, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted this in my garden last summer. It was one of the first plants to wake up this spring. It is blooming this week and has alot of little babies coming up. I love the foliage.

On Feb 17, 2006, trifunov from Brandon, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wonderful evergreen groundcover with low-growing, large (2-3 inches) round dark green leaves. Spreads quickly in my wet solid clay soil. Shallow roots make it easy to dig out clumps and transplant (or to keep in control). Yellow daisy flowers are a bit spindly, but one of the earliest spring flowers in my garden (before the daffodils even). This is a great groundcover for sun.

On Jul 12, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Hardy plants that take no maintenance other than deadheading to prevent volunteer seedlings. Best use is in naturalized areas with poor dry soil and full sun, otherwise it tends to take over. Senecio obovatus has similar blooms, but produces an ovate leaf instead of the round/heart shape that S. aureus has.