PlantFiles: Black Sapote, Chocolate Pudding Tree, Black Persimmon, Axle Grease Plant
Diospyros digyna

Family: Ebenaceae (eb-en-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Diospyros (dy-oh-SPY-ros) (Info)
Species: digyna (dy-GY-nuh) (Info)

Synonym:Diospyros black persimmon

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From hardwood cuttings
By grafting

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By ohmysweetpjs

Thumbnail #6 of Diospyros digyna by Thaumaturgist

By Thaumaturgist
Thumbnail #7 of Diospyros digyna by Thaumaturgist

Positive Enri312 On May 7, 2014, Enri312 from Corona, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I germinated 4 out of 5 black sapote seeds that I brought from Mexico recently. I had to wait a long time for them to germinate. I used those little red drinking cups and made openings using a blade for drainage. The potting soil I used was Scotts SuperSoil Potting mix from Home Depot. I also used a grow light with an automatic on/off switch that turned on all night since it was winter.

The red cups the seeds were in got infested with fungus gnats, but they didn't harm the persimmon seeds at all. In fact, I think they helped keep them from rotting by feeding on the fungus in the soil.

When they germinated, I took them out because I was tired of all the gnats (it got pretty bad). The temperature outside at night was in the lower 40s and they got burned by the cold. The leaves and stems turned really black, so I stared to take all 4 inside the house every night. By this time, I had transplanted them in 6 inch high containers using the same soil.

They are steadily growing here in Southern California (9b) and I've noticed that one of them was producing rounded leaves rather than pointed leaves as a seedling - could it be a different gender tree (persimmons come in male or female)?

Positive dstbny3 On Nov 12, 2010, dstbny3 from Tacoma, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Since I live in Tacoma, Wa, I could only grow it inside. My pudding tree grew to four-to-five feet tall, never flowered, and lived for about seven years before losing its leaves and dying from some bug or disease (I never found out what killed it). It was a pleasant tree to have and added ambience to the room.

Positive Rawmodel On Aug 21, 2009, Rawmodel from Alexandria, MN wrote:

I started my black sapote from seed which I brought from Mexico. I started it in may 2008 and it is now 14 inches tall and very beautiful.

Im wondering if I should expose it to full sun or still keep it somewhat protected? Any ideas on this? Truly a beautiful plant. Hopefully it will get big enough to get fruit someday, but nevertheless it is still a great plant to have indoors.

Neutral oceanmystic On Nov 18, 2006, oceanmystic from San Diego, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

It has taken 4 months but I finally have a sprout. Growing one here is considered marginal but I am going to give it my best shot. Not sure if it is temperature or dry fall air or wet winters that kill them off but I will mitigate against all those and hope for the best.

Positive actoon On Apr 6, 2004, actoon from Satellite Beach, FL wrote:

This tree does extremely well on the beach areas of Satellite beach. It is a beautiful large, fast growing tree with very good tasting friut. I grow many as I have two trees that produce fruit. They fruit is harvested January through March and are about 3 to 5 inches in diameter. They do not require much care but do benefit from regular complete fertilizer such as 6-6-6.

Positive teddyJ On Jun 11, 2003, teddyJ from Rockhampton
Australia wrote:

The tree is a beautifull evergreen giving good shade. Like most Persimmons, the fruit are picked mature and then need to be allowed to soften off the tree. Once soft the sweet flesh is scooped out of the skin and can be eaten from the hand or used in ice creams, drinks cooking etc etc.

Boca Raton, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida
Fort Pierce, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
Merritt Island, Florida (2 reports)
Mulberry, Florida