PlantFiles: Venus Flytrap
Dionaea muscipula

Family: Droseraceae
Genus: Dionaea (dy-OH-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: muscipula (musk-ip-oola) (Info)

Carnivorous and Insectivorous

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By PanamonCreel

By Mitjo
Thumbnail #6 of Dionaea muscipula by Mitjo

By Mitjo
Thumbnail #7 of Dionaea muscipula by Mitjo

Positive tikipod On May 19, 2012, tikipod from (Ang) Bremerton, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My first experience, in adulthood, with Venus Flytraps resulted in a dead plant. I bought the plant at a big name hardware store and followed the instructions on the package. The instructions had led me to believe it was a tropical plant when in truth it should have been outside.

Armed with proper care instructions I picked up two new ones at Lowes for my son last Easter. I put them outdoors with a homemade cloche and they did beautifully until it was safe enough to put into a bog bowl.

Over a year later they are still doing beautifully and really grew during winter.

Neutral theNobody14161 On May 17, 2010, theNobody14161 from Kalamazoo, MI wrote:

Xaia, what seed source did you use for the fly-traps that survived?

Positive xaia On May 31, 2009, xaia from Kitchener

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and have successfully managed to overwinter the typical form of the Venus Flytrap in my outdoor bog. The plants were planted spring of last year in a mixture of peatmoss and sharp sand with shredded sphagnum moss as a topdressing. We had a very dry and cold winter with temperatures dropping down to -29 degrees centigrade with wind chill. All my carnivorous plants pulled through wonderfully. The hardy Sarracenia purpureas, the Droseras, and to my surprise the Dionaeas. I had covered the plants with pine boughs and checked up on them often during the freeze/thaw cycles we had. The Flytraps looked frost bitten and completely dehydrated. As the warmer spring weather came around, the snow melted, and we had several frost warnings which crystallized everything low to the ground. The Venus Flytraps remained dormant throughout everything that our weather threw at them. Last month the traps started to reappear from deep within the rhizomes and now the first set of traps have formed and opened, one rhizome has a flower stalk about 1.5 inches tall, and summer leaves are soon to be produced with bigger traps. The plants caught their fill of insects last year and the surface of the bog would slightly dry between periodic rains (the carnivores are planted in a very large bucket without any drainage in ground). The plants receive full sun all day. Other than admiring them for their beauty and checking up on which traps have caught insects, there's really no fussing over these plants for me. I guess I let mother nature take care of all the hard work!!

Positive AnalogDog On Sep 3, 2008, AnalogDog from Mountlake Terrace, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

VFTs take care to grow, but once a person has a system, they become very easy to keep and grow. I grow my VFTs in a bowl bog. About 4" of peat on top of 3" washed gravel with a PVC tube into the gravel for a watering tube.

Place 2 or 4 holes at the water level line you wish to establish, usually 2-3" down from the soil surface. These holes will be overflows.

After building this you can now plant your plants, keeping the plant above the soil, with the roots below. Keep the soil moist, adding water via the tube as the soil drys out. Water until the water comes out the overflows.

Put this outside in full sun, and watch the traps catch their own meals.

Positive cornea503 On Jul 21, 2008, cornea503 from Spring Hill, TN wrote:

I found some for $3.99 which they had inside a plastic dome. Took it out of the dome and pot, placed it in a 3-4" plastic pot with drainage. Mixed 50/50 unfertilized peat moss and paver sand.

Bought a long tray used for window boxes. Filled that with water, placed the VFT pot in it and placed it in full sun (I live in middle TN). I initially used 120ppm tap water as I didn't have anything else. I then collected some rainwater and replaced the tap water now using distilled water. The tap water I used didn't hurt the plant any but then again it wast terribly hard water either and the plant was only in it for about a week. I suggest that if you are somewhat serious about growing this or any other carnivorous plant that you buy a TDS Meter to measure water hardness.

Anyhow, the plant perked up within a day or two, started growing new traps within a week. Problem with this plant is not so much the care as I don't do anything to it other than make sure the tray has water but rather all the misinformation that is out there. One site says no full sun, another says full sun, yet another says grow in terrarium and then there are the care instructions that come with the plant which are TOTALLY wrong and if followed will kill it in no time. By far, the best and most accurate info is on cobraplant.com

Neutral 1cros3nails4gvn On Jun 2, 2008, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

also native to parts of northeast SC. not the easiest plant for most people. i am growing this in the ground in a bog environment.

Neutral RosemaryA On Mar 30, 2008, RosemaryA from Toronto, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I find it necessary to water our venus flytrap every day without fail, or it will start to shrivel up (keeping it as a houseplant). I've read that only distilled water should be used, not tap water. It's not necessary to feed insects to the plant.

Positive Beach_Barbie On Feb 15, 2007, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I work at a local nursery and got two that were on the verge of dying. I got another, healthy one after those first two died...
It's still alive and fine - outside, next to the house in a pot with no drainage hole and in spagnum moss.
They are native to here, so that could help explain why it's doing fine when I have done nothing (literally) to it.
I am going to check out that site though. More information, the better!

Positive SummerSun06 On Jun 13, 2006, SummerSun06 from Townsend, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

The problem a lot of people have with this plant is that it is NOT a house plant and not tropical. It MUST have a cold dormant period. Growing it outside is the best option as it needs a humid atmosphere and insects to consume. Planted in peat/vermiculite with no fertilization, the plants is easy to grow in a bog setting. I grow mine with wet feet in my pond. Put them in a protective spot after they have gone dormant.

Neutral Airel_Ice On Jan 6, 2006, Airel_Ice from Arlington, TX wrote:

I just bought mine home.. thinking this would be easy to grow. Boy am I glad I came here and found the link that redjiii posted. Maybe now we stand a chance. I recommend doing the research also. Funny how were told we can feed this hamburger! I too will be back to post my results later.

Positive wtliftr On May 14, 2005, wtliftr from Wilson's Mills, NC wrote:

Native habitat WORLDWIDE is only within a 100 mile radius of Wilmington, NC... grew up within that area. Rquires full sun, keep pot in a tray full of distilled water or rain water- Chlorine will KILL it! DO NOT feed it pieces of hamburger, etc...the fat will kill the trap. requires a dormant period in the winter. The only problem I had in the past was feeding the plant hamburger (didn't know at the time), or drying out the plant- this will kill the plant quickly!! Otherwise, a unique attraction. It has just recently been named the Official Carnivorous Plant of NC.

Positive ncgardenaddict On Feb 16, 2005, ncgardenaddict from Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

North Carolina Native! They sell them all over the place which is sad since most folks don't know how to take care of them. Boggy conditions certainly!

Positive the_rainmaker2 On Aug 25, 2004, the_rainmaker2 from york
United Kingdom wrote:

This plant is very pretty and surprisingly easy to grow. I grow mine outside on a water tray outside in full sun and it as survived for 3 years

Positive LynneSun On May 27, 2004, LynneSun from Cape Town
wrote:

We've got four of these plants that we've had for about six weeks. They're still very small and initially we kept them indoors, until I saw the part about them liking sun. Now we have them outdoors & keep them in trays of rainwater or boiled water, and they seem to be holding their own, but we'll have to hold thumbs and wait and see. The reason we got them was that a friend of ours has two, that he's had for about a year, and they are flourishing - they've reached about 10 inches across and about 6 inches high, with huge traps. We live in Cape Town, South Africa, which is a winter-rainfall area with summer temps between 15 and 36 degrees, and winter around 7 to 25. My friend keeps his plants on an east-facing bathroom windowsill, so they get morning sun through the frosted glass. He does admit to having poked at them when they were small, and force-fed them a bit, but whatever he's done, they've survived magnificently. I just hope ours take off like his did.

Neutral redjiii On Feb 7, 2004, redjiii wrote:

Venus Fly Traps are VERY difficult to take care of for the average amateur botanist...sure...they'll last a month or so, but ultimately, unless you really know what you're doing, they WILL shrivel and die. I have had seven and watched each one slowly wither to nothing despite my best efforts to save them. If you attempt to successfully grow these plants, DO THE RESEARCH! I recommend visiting the site Sarracenia.com This site is run by an expert on the topic of growing carnivorous plants. My next attempts, after delving into such a resource, should prove to be more fruitful. I will post after further attempts.

Neutral Monocromatico On May 22, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Don't feed this plant with ants and roaches. They eat the trap, getting away and destroying it. And don't play with it using sticks or your finger just to see the traps closing, the plant expends a lot of energy doing it, and it will miss it in the future.

Elk Grove, California
Stockton, California
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Rockledge, Florida