Pink Mimosa, Fragrant Mimosa, Catclaw Mimosa, Sensitive Mimosa
Mimosa borealis

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Mimosa (mim-MOH-suh) (Info)
Species: borealis (bor-ee-AL-is) (Info)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Pink

Helotes, Texas

Hico, Texas

Kerrville, Texas

Lufkin, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

Santa Fe, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

On Oct 16, 2012, phizz from Albany, OR wrote:

I have had a Mimosa tree for about 5 years, planted in a semi-protected area in full sun. The first 3 years it died back to the ground in the winter. Last 2 years it has not died back but has not bloomed yet. It has several stocks, not just one. We live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, zone 6. There are quite a few big Mimosa trees locally, Albany, Eugene & Salem which bloom nicely, seems to do better in the cities where it is warmer.

On Jul 15, 2010, marasri from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

This is a different plant than the sensitive plant mentioned above. I like this plant a lot. It grows wild on my land. it is beautiful when it flowers and lives up to its name if the wind is not blowing. A word of caution. It can make a lot of seed. I have a bug that bores holes in all the seeds so only a few missed seeds actually sprout below my small grove of brush. This is a welcomed symbiotic relationship from my perspective, but maybe parasitic for the tree since she keeps feeling like more and more seed is needed. IF you do not have this bug, you might be inviting a headache into your yard. Weeding under a plant who's nick name has catclaw in it has its dangers. I do like this plant thorns and all.

On Jun 12, 2009, thedesertsage from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I have had my mimosa for 12 years and have never noticed spines or sharp edges.
I am trying to find out why I have so many dead branches every spring.
Also I don't know when it starts to get leaves elsewhere but in West Valley where I live it doesn't show signs of life until the last of May. I do live higher up on the hills maybe I am more of a 4b than a 5. My other plants are at least 2 weeks behind my mothers who lives in the valley.
It doesnt grow like a weed in Utah due to the cold. In fact you have to baby it.

On Apr 1, 2007, LindaTX8 from NE Medina Co., TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Mimosa borealis is a native here in Texas. A spreading shrub, it likes limstone soils and is drought-tolerant. In spring, after the foliage returns, it blooms, with many fluffy pink blooms. It has tiny "catclaws" that may catch at you or your clothes if you brush up against the plant. I love it when it's blooming!

On Aug 7, 2006, indirt from Hico, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is so beautiful in bloom it is difficult to resist. Pictures do not do it justice. It is growing in rocky sand w/ clay/rock base and has held up admirably during very long drought and weeks of 100+. A&M says it can be grazed by livestock, but suffers from overgrazing.

On Jul 22, 2004, olio from Marietta, GA wrote:

This plant (Mimosa Podica) grew year round at my my home near Savannah. We called it "Nervous Mimosa) when I played with it as a kid.

I now live in Marietta,GA (N. of Atlanta) and people tell me it will not survive the winter here.

I'll try this winter and let you know.