PlantFiles: False Day Flower
Commelinantia anomala

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Commelinantia (kom-el-in-AN-tee-a) (Info)
Species: anomala (ah-NOM-uh-luh) (Info)

Synonym:Tinantia anomala
Synonym:Commelina anomala
Synonym:Tradescantia anomala

Partial to Full Shade
Full Shade

Medium Blue
Blue-Violet

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By SShurgot

Thumbnail #4 of Commelinantia anomala by Jeff_Beck

Thumbnail #5 of Commelinantia anomala by htop

Thumbnail #6 of Commelinantia anomala by htop

Thumbnail #7 of Commelinantia anomala by htop

Positive broncbuster On Jul 25, 2007, broncbuster from Waxahachie, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is only my second year in my home, so my rating may change, as well. But for now, I really enjoy these flowers! They grow where other things won't and they make mornings beautiful. I love the way they sprawl out and how they find their way up through the bushes and briars that line my gravel road.

Negative dmj1218 On May 31, 2007, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

It's also invasive and very hard to eradicate.

Neutral frostweed On Oct 4, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

False Day Flower, Commelinantia anomala, is Endemic to Texas.

Neutral Malus2006 On Mar 5, 2006, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Sorry, my description was for the asiatic species

Positive htop On Apr 5, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
The false dayflower (also known as widowstears) which is native to Texas and Mexico differs from dayflowers (Commelinas) in several ways. Its leaves are a lighter color of green and are more delicate looking. It grows in a more upright fashion and the blooms are a much lighter color. When I first had it spring up in my yard, I thought it was a new type of dayflower ... that a dayflower had somehow crossed with something else. I called it my anemic dayflower because compared to the dayflowers that take over my yard, this plant's colors are very subdued and more delicate looking. It is easily pulled up unlike the dayflowers which I have been attempting to kill for many, many years. I am permitting the false dayflower to grow where it comes up in most instances. I love the bright blue blooms on the Commelinas, but they are extremely invasive, difficult to remove once the roots are established and grow over other plants. The false dayflower is a somewhat "tamer" plant but does self-seed. I pull up most of them and leave a few in areas where they do not overwhelm my other plants.

Update: 6/12/07 - After a really cool and wet spring, the false dayflowers grew to about twice the size that they usually do and many more of the plants came up from seed from last year. I also saw a lot more mature seeds on the plants than I have in the past. So next year, I may change my rating.

Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Georgetown, Texas
Hondo, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spring Branch, Texas