Triumph Tulip 'Negrita'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Negrita

Geneva, Ohio

, Ontario

Knoxville, Tennessee

On Oct 13, 2015, pebble_thief from Logan, UT wrote:

Sturdy, fragrant, nice plum color, and it multiplies! What's not to like? the smoky blue color at the base of the flower is also an interesting feature. Out of the purples I planted, this prevailed where 'purple prince' and 'Claudia' did not.

On Apr 9, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Triumph tulips are bred for forcing. They aren't good long-term performers in the garden, at least not in my climate (Boston 6a). They may be good for a second year, if you keep summer irrigation to a minimum, but they come up smaller year by year till they don't bloom. (Tulips require a dry summer rest, and here we get too much summer rainfall for most tulips to perennialize. Summer irrigation can make tulips rot.)

Good cut flowers, long stems.

All tulips are prime fodder for deer and other critters.

On May 15, 2014, KittyWittyKat from Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Great cut flowers - long lasting.

On May 6, 2012, StellaElla from Graham, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've had multiple bulbs of 'Negrita' in my garden for a few years and they multiply nicely and have a wonderful rich shade of purple that is simply striking. One of my favorite tulips!

On May 4, 2008, ladychroe from Bridgewater, NJ wrote:

Though not very large, I agree that Negrita's blooms are very long-lasting. They bloomed mid-season with the other Triumphs and Darwins and are just now starting to fade, even though the late lily-flowered tulips have been blooming for a week or two. The purple changes from a bright plum color to purple, and are now taking on a silvery sheen as they start to fade.

Mine bloomed short (12") because we had a dry spring. Other tulips in my garden did not seem as affected. Did not ruin the appeal one bit.

On May 1, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a new tulip this year in my gardens. It has a nice purple color, and makes a very showy clump. The blooms seem to be very long lasting. With the severe spring storms and high winds, I expected to see some broken stems. But it still stands strong; the petals seem to close up tight in heavy cloud cover and rains.

On Nov 15, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Deep purple blooms that reach 16" in height. Looks great with yellow and/or white tulips or daffodils. Beautilful!

On Apr 23, 2004, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this tulip, the color is unbeatable. I have it planted in several places in my yard. In full sun and shade and it does well in both. It stands up well to wind and rain.