Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Peron Sprayless'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Peron Sprayless

Water Valley, Mississippi

Omaha, Nebraska

Newark Valley, New York

On Sep 30, 2009, rbrown974 from Newark Valley, NY wrote:

Peron Sprayless came from Argentina and was first offered by Gleckler’s seed company in the 1940’s. Gleckler’s is no longer in business. They are apparently the ones who first billed it as, “The world’s only sprayless tomato, requiring no pesticides for production.” That’s a crock. But those words have sold a lot of tomato seeds. I bought some. Unfortunately, repeating the claim a million times doesn’t make it so. It’s an OK tomato, nothing to write home about, yields on par with Rutgers, at 4-to-the-pound is a bit smaller than Rutgers, but is not resistant to anything that I could see. Peron has a rough, mottled skin surface (see image) that appears to be cosmetic moreso than a disease. I grew Peron in 2007 side-by-side with 8 other varieties. Nothing else had this blemish but ev... read more

On Jul 13, 2007, riceke from Snellville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

For the last 3 years I was inundated with whitefly infestations so bad that they sucked my tomato plants to death. White clouds of them covered me when I tried to spray the plants. In the same spot, I planted Peron this year. Haven't seen a whitefly and haven't sprayed. Plants are about 5-6' with heavy fruit set. Todate 7/13 they are still green at 7-9oz...but they are healthy. I was about to give up planting tomatoes in this area until I tried this variety. I definately will plant this one again.

On Jan 29, 2007, funtogarden from Pleasant Hill, CA wrote:

I grew Peron Sprayless for the first time in 2006. Good production, reliable, good flavor.

On Sep 18, 2006, Mands from Slingerlands, NY wrote:

Contrary to its name, this variety needed to be sprayed more than the others I was growing. It still succumbed to disease; I don't think I got a single decent fruit from the plant.

On Jun 24, 2006, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Peron sprayless...but not crackless! Mine were small and cracked at the stem.

On Jan 13, 2005, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Disappointing..... nothing to spray!