PlantFiles: Species Orchid, Yellow Lady Slipper, Yellow Moccasin Flower, Golden Slipper Orchid, Yellow Indian Sh
Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens

Family: Orchidaceae (or-kid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cypripedium (sip-rih-PEE-dee-um) (Info)
Species: parviflorum var. pubescens

Synonym:Cypripedium assurgens
Synonym:Cypripedium aureum
Synonym:Cypripedium flavescens
Synonym:Cypripedium furcatum
Synonym:Cypripedium planipetalum

Partial to Full Shade

4.5 or below (very acidic)
4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By vic

Thumbnail #5 of Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens by Toxicodendron

Thumbnail #6 of Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens by Todd_Boland

Thumbnail #7 of Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens by Todd_Boland

Neutral travelgal On Apr 22, 2013, travelgal from Clarkesville, GA wrote:

I had a rescued YLS for many years. Then, when I moved to NorthGA, I put it in a cow watering trough (black plastic) to keep it from voles. It has one drain. I used clay and organic additions. Then one winter, we had snow cover for 4 or 5 days. It rotted in the soil. I discovered the organics had more or less been used up and it was brown clay soil. That, combined with a lot of snow on it, I feel, caused its demise. So I would say it needs GOOD drainage. I am trying again (not in trough). May I say Gardens of the Blue Ridge is a great place to buy natives? Happy gardening!

Positive anesdocno1 On Oct 12, 2004, anesdocno1 from Knoxville, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I received 3 of these plants from a friend of my wife's, and have had problems finding information about the proper depth to plant them. I don't know how deeply the plant "bud" should be. It is known to grow well in this area of eastern Tennessee.

Positive Passionweed On Feb 22, 2004, Passionweed from Barboursville, VA wrote:

One of my favorite native orchids that I am lucky to have in my central Virginia garden. Native to my area, I transplanted a small colony (saved from a road project) years ago. What was 8 plants is now close to 20.
From my experience, this is about the only Cypripedium that will transplant and grow/colonize easily. I have it planted in a natural setting among deciduous trees and pines, my soil is red clay with a thick layer of leaf mould on top. Rainfall here averages around 45" per year, warm muggy summers and cold winters (max low -10*).
Have seen this growing in gardens in regular garden soil.

Positive woodspirit1 On Apr 14, 2003, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this plant, mainly for its beauty and rarity. I had one when I moved here and now I have 3 but it has been many years. I have seen them in a catalog for around $150!!! apiece. Although they have been seen in big colonies, I have never seen that. They MUST have shade, and some of the shade should be pine. They like very acid soil. They form seed pods very infrequently so my husband has taken to using a brush to help polinate them. I found that they can be fertilized.

Morrilton, Arkansas