Maidenhair Vine, Wire Vine
Muehlenbeckia complexa

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Muehlenbeckia (mew-len-BEK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: complexa (kom-PLEKS-uh) (Info)

By simple layering

Rhome, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

On Sep 19, 2014, CAgoldbear from Katy, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Lovely wall cover, climbs brick very well. We have it in a corner just by the door, and have found that it is good shelter for a couple of bats - we can hear them echo-locating in the evening hours, gobbling up mosquitos by the door. Fantastic! I plan to take some cuttings and bring them over to another part of the north side of the house to have an "ivy-covered" entrance.

On Oct 27, 2012, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Love, love, love my Muehleys. Perfect for hanging baskets, they add a wiry, airy texture with loooong stems.

On Aug 14, 2011, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I found this plant @ the Farmer's Market in Embarcadero. It's so lacy, delicate and attractive -- I had to have it! Upon returning home to TX, I put in atop the soil of an indoor ficus tree and it looks lovely there....the new foliage is lime green and eye-catching. Can't decide if I'll keep it indoors or try it outdoors in the shade....perhaps I'll propagate for both purposes!

On Jun 20, 2011, killdawabbit from Christiana, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

This wonderful little groundcover has been perfectly hardy, though deciduous, for me in zone 6b for over 3 years now. I wouldn't be without it and I spread it around in different areas of my garden.
It will creep but that's part of it's charm. Not invasive and easy to control for me.

On Nov 2, 2007, flowerhead410 from Nelson, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have had many of these for several years in zone 5! Thay do look like they are dead in the spring and leaves don't come back until late spring. It has spread nicely, but I have never seen it flower. It is a great plant!

On Oct 31, 2006, melangemerchant from Adelaide
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

Excellent climbing plant will cover a fence or other support quickly and form a dense impenetrable mass. Responds well to clipping and pruning and can be readily shaped. Prefers full sun, will grow in shade or semi shade but will be more sparse and will seek out light. It can become invasive particularly in sub tropical or tropical areas. In regions with less rainfall it is well behaved. Small swollen juicy flowers are reputably edible. I have tasted them and they have a sweet taste, not unpleasant.

On Oct 6, 2003, udigg from PH
Israel (Zone 10b) wrote:

lovely vine grown for special appearance with tiny round leaves like glued to dark wiry stems. for connossaires!