Bleeding Heart
Lamprocapnos spectabilis 'Alba'

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lamprocapnos (lam-pro-KAP-nos) (Info)
Species: spectabilis (speck-TAB-ih-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Alba
Synonym:Lamprocapnos spectabilis f. alba
Synonym:Dicentra spectabilis
Synonym:Dicentra spectabilis f. alba

Blue-Green

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Anchorage, Alaska

Pinconning, Michigan

Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

South Rockwood, Michigan

Kasota, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota (3 reports)

Saint Paul, Minnesota

Johnsonburg, Pennsylvania

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Rector, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania (2 reports)

Warwick, Rhode Island

Summerville, South Carolina

American Fork, Utah

Magna, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah

Essex Junction, Vermont

Arlington, Virginia (2 reports)

Danville, Virginia

Leesburg, Virginia

Radford, Virginia

Olympia, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Marinette, Wisconsin

Muscoda, Wisconsin

On Jul 12, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Not quite as showy as species Dicentra spectabilis, but still nice. Can withstand a fair amount of sun. Blooms April-June in my garden.

On Jan 3, 2010, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a very lovely plant whose gracefull stems full of white flowers really brighten up the shade bed. I have found it to be a quick grower and very vigorous. At the end of their first full year, it was necessary to move some of them due to their incredible size. They have been relocated to an area of extremely dry shade. It will be interesting to see whether or not they will survive there.

On Jun 10, 2009, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

It's in mid June and it is still putting out flowers!

On Feb 16, 2009, wandygirl from Brookfield, CT wrote:

I planted this beauty in a traffic island bed under tall trees. Was lovely for several years with absolutely no supplemental care. Last spring it didn't show. Upon close inspection it was obvious that someone had dug it up. I guess someone really liked it. It goes dormant after blooming.

On May 5, 2008, rosewood513 from Lanoka Harbor, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I saw this lovely flowering plant growing in a relatives' garden in deep shade and had to have it.
It is so graceful and airy and the flowers just catch your eye. I planted them three years ago and are doing well.
They greet me as I come home, I placed them in by walkway and they seem to wave and bob their little heads as I pass. Simply delightful.

On May 2, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

For me the white flower form are harder to grow than the pink form - the pink form seed like crazy. I have lost some white forms in my early years at starting a garden.

On Sep 4, 2007, Sashagirl from Davenport, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is one of my favorites, because of it's soft, graceful form.
I planted mine about 17 years ago, as a quart size nursery grown plant, and have moved it 2 or 3 times over the years, due to landscape renovations.
It is so dependable, but is slow to grow to maturity-takes several years, in fact. It's mature size for me, is about 40 inches tall, with about 4 ft. breadth.
I have it in a dry shade bed, and seldom water it-and it seems to thrive with neglect, once established.
The foliage starts to look ratty around the first of August, so I cut it back to the ground at that time, and fill in that spot with a large containered shade plant.
I highly reccomend this beauty, for it's stunning presence, its durability, and ease of care.

On May 17, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am equally impressed with the white bleeding heart as the pink. Both have the same cultural requirements, and both add color and character to spring shade gardens. Both are very easily grown here.

On Apr 30, 2006, LrngToFly from Clinton, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant; I have an 'Alba'. Unfortunately I just had my house re-roofed and they destroyed it! The four stalks were cut off about an inch above the ground. This happened just before it was about to bloom. I assume it will die because it won't have the ability to re-strengthen the roots for next year. I'm going to purchase another (and perhaps one with some color as well.)

On Mar 27, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

So far I've only seen this variety in books and photos, but today I was at the garden center and bought a root of it!!!
So I brought it home and planted it right away (next to the transplanted remains of my pink one. I don't know if pink will live or not). It has some good growth coming on it and I put an upside down clay pot over it to protect it from the cold during the night. I hope it does well and I'll update this when I have more info!

On May 21, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

See the Dicentra spectabilis entry for information on the pink version of this plant. In my experience, the two colors are almost identical.

The exceptions are if a white and a pink are planted too close together, the pink will have a little more vigor and crowd the white, though otherwise, the Alba variety is not lacking in vigor, both spread and flower profusely.

Also, the alba variety will self-seed, (though modestly) which I have not observed in the pink specimins.

Very pretty and worth seeking out if not avaliable in your area.