PlantFiles: Clematis
Clematis 'Duchess of Edinburgh'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Duchess of Edinburgh
Hybridized by Jackman & Son, England; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1874

» View all varieties of Clematis

By cceamore
Thumbnail #6 of Clematis  by cceamore

By victorgardener
Thumbnail #7 of Clematis  by victorgardener

Positive maccionoadha On May 17, 2012, maccionoadha from Halifax, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I do so love this plant. I was quite surprised to find that it would sometimes produce seeds. I would only get ten seeds at most from the entire plant and it is the only Clematis I own that produces blossoms. I have had no luck with any other. A+

Positive PNWMountainGirl On Jun 11, 2010, PNWMountainGirl from (Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I was not happy with this plant for the first few years of its life. I thought the flowers were less than attractive. Now that it is mature, the flower buds and flowers are both lovely. It is also very vigorous.

Positive petonegirl On Sep 27, 2009, petonegirl from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

I am from New Zealand in my area zone 9, I have over 20 Clematis & this double has to be the toughest & most prolific double I have, I prune it hard in early spring & is the second to flower, improves each year & amazes me with the huge blooms

Have found with most double clematis's be ruthless & prune hard & they will reward you.

Positive DreamOfSpring On Feb 13, 2006, DreamOfSpring from Charleston, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have quite a few clematis plants. This is by far my most prolific bloomer. In 2005, it started blooming on Mar 29, bloomed heavily in April and May and continued to sport a handful of blooms most of the summer. Throughout Fall 05 it kept a bloom or two at all times. I recorded the last bloom on Dec 16, 2005! By that time all of my other clematis had long since gone dormant. BTW, this plant is located on a fence behind a group of roses. I can't get to it without wrestling with rose thorns, so it gets no help from the gardener, but still manages to bloom almost non-stop for 3/4 of the year.

The pure white, double blooms are quite striking. My blooms have considerable green on them when partially open but are pure white when fully open. I find the green adds to the performance.

Positive RDT On Apr 13, 2005, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have this weaving in my dwarf lilac. Both the Josee Lilac and Clematis are rebloomers. I had blooms from both in October.

Positive mikamouse On Jun 9, 2003, mikamouse from Warren, MI wrote:

It looks like a gardenia flower without the fragrance.
Blooms around the 2nd week of June in the midwest.

Positive Larkie On Jun 8, 2003, Larkie from Camilla, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Blooms very early here in zone 8 also..1st double blooms on April 1st.. Flowers are very long lasting..
Larkie

Positive violabird On Apr 15, 2003, violabird from Barnesville, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Worth it for the pure white, very double early blooms. In Georgia, 1st bloom April 11, although most literature says bloom time of May-June.

Sherwood, Arkansas
Camilla, Georgia
Washington, Illinois
Logansport, Indiana
Salvisa, Kentucky
Ellicott City, Maryland (2 reports)
Halifax, Massachusetts