PlantFiles: Weigela
Weigela florida 'Variegata'

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Weigela (wy-GEE-la) (Info)
Species: florida (FLOR-id-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Thumbnail #6 of Weigela florida by growin

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Weigela florida by growin

Neutral CeliaJ On Aug 11, 2013, CeliaJ from Spotsylvania Courthouse, VA wrote:

Just wanted to add a warning to those people who are trying to plant a deer resistant garden. Don't choose this one - the deer LOVE it!

Positive Gabrielle On Jul 19, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Gorgeous foliage, even more beautiful in bloom. Blooms in May in my garden.

Positive SheilaNY On Apr 18, 2010, SheilaNY from Honeoye Falls, NY wrote:

I first planted Variegata as a mail-order plant in Williston, VT (Zone 4a) about 10 years ago. It grew wonderfully with no winter die-back and put on an impressive flower display every spring/summer. It's possible it may have been protected from very cold temperatures by having a thick blanket of snow over it each winter. I now live in upstate NY and just planted three small shrubs. Can't wait to see how they do!

Positive plantaholic186 On Mar 3, 2010, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

I'm surprised to hear of people having difficulty with this shrub in zone 5b. I have five different cultivars that I have to hack down to keep them from taking over. I do let one grow larger, and I've never had so much as tip dieback, even through brutal winters. I also usually have a second round of flowers, though of course not as prolific as the first flush.
I've also rooted Weigelas easily from cuttings, just sticking a cutting with 4-5 nodes in the ground. Within a year, I have a 3' shrub.

Neutral carpathiangirl On Jun 29, 2009, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I agree it's a beautiful shrub but lasted one season in my 5a zone -- definitely needs milder winter.

Positive leelynne On Apr 27, 2009, leelynne from Dover, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I had never heard of this plant untill about 2 years ago when my mother-in-law gave me one. It is beautiful!! It's a fast grower for me and stands out in my flower bed. With blooms it is even better but even without the blooms I think it's pretty because of the bright variegated leaves.

Positive grandma_spankin On May 27, 2006, grandma_spankin from Clarendon, PA wrote:

This plant was my mom's and has been growing in front of the house for at least 15 years. She never pruned it but it has continued to grow beautifully and blooms profusely every year. I'm going to attempt to root some cuttings to plant in other areas and share with my sisters.

Neutral bigcityal On Dec 9, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I really liked the foliage on this plant, but it had a lot of winter dieback and very slow flowering.

Positive mkjones On Sep 8, 2005, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

A strong 'positive!' The more this bush is pruned at the tips, the more often it will bloom. My two have bloomed all summer.

Negative bc43 On Feb 25, 2005, bc43 from Jefferson, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Although the leaves of this plant are lovely, it does not bloom in my upstate NY garden. It dies back in winter even though it is in a sheltered location. This area is listed as 5A on Zone Map.

Positive smiln32 On Nov 30, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had success in rooting this plant by taking cuttings, dipping them in water, then a powdered rooting hormone and placing them in a pre-moistened potting (soil-less) mixture. I then placed the whole container in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and added water to the bottom, sealed it shut and waited about 6-8 weeks. I was rewarded with a lot of new growth (every single cutting took root.)

Neutral Todd_Boland On Nov 21, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Although a very old cultivar, it is still readily available, no doubt due to its spectacular foliage. There flowers open light pink and deeped as they age. There are many newer variegated Weigela available with flowers in different colours. Many of the newer cultivars are smaller in stature but if you have space, 'Variegata' is still highly recommended. Synonym names include 'Argenteo-marginata' and 'Aureovariegata'.

Positive nynighthawk On Oct 4, 2003, nynighthawk from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

I first saw a large, spectacular example of this lovely shrub at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. I have a five year old plant growing in a 16" pot in my yard. Although it has been neglected, rootbound, partially shaded and subjected to several sever winters without protection, it continues to flourish and blossom profusely (although I suspect not as long as if it were better treated) each year. It is probably the toughest plant in the garden and certainly deserves better treatment than it's been getting. Hmmm...I'll plant it in a place of honor worthy of it. I promise. I highly recommend it. Flowers lovely in spring, leaves and habit interesting year round.

Athens, Alabama