Weigela
Weigela florida 'Wine & Roses'

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Weigela (wy-GEE-la) (Info)
Species: florida (FLOR-id-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Wine & Roses
Additional cultivar information:(PP10772, aka Alexandra, Wine & Roses)
Hybridized by Geers

Cambridge, Vermont

Lexington, Virginia

Oakton, Virginia

Pembroke, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia (2 reports)

Springfield, Virginia

Menasha, Wisconsin

Muscoda, Wisconsin

West Bend, Wisconsin

On Aug 7, 2013, Michael1time from Akron, OH wrote:

easy to stick cuttings spring and summer loves sun in my zone trim to control growth in late winter

On Mar 22, 2013, Gardeningman from Kingman, KS wrote:

I planted a few of these on the South side of my house due to reports that they need full sun to look their best. That was a mistake. Wine & Roses Weigela is a shrub that was cultivated in the North, so its ideal environment is full sun in a cooler climate. If the Wine & Roses Weigela shrub is planted in a warm southern climate it needs to have afternoon shade in order to prevent turning green and getting scorched by a combination of full sun and intense heat. And then it may not have that dark purple color that is shown in all of those internet photos, because it is not getting full sun all day.
I am moving my Wine & Roses Weigela shrubs to the East side of my house this spring. Hopefully, that will prevent them from getting scorched and perhaps will allow the foliage to synth... read more

On Jun 2, 2012, gardensangel from Suffield, CT wrote:

Beautiful, hardy plant! One of mine got accidentally trampled during the winter months. In early spring, it sprouted several leaves. It is now early June and you'd never know that it had been virtually crushed. It is now a full beautiful little shrub!

On Apr 25, 2012, cmackie from Allentown, PA wrote:

I have four of these plants in my yard - one for 3 or 4 years and the others since last fall. None of them look anything like the pictures and they never get any larger or fuller. The landscaper put them in because they are pretty shrubs - just not for me. I have clay and sand soil and they are planted in a sunny location. I'm not sure if I will give up on them entirely or just move them.

On Mar 22, 2012, mollyslandscape from West Springfield, VA wrote:

I planted a small inexpensive one near the side of the house about 5 years ago. It has gotten 4-5 feet tall but neither full or dense like the internet photos look. It is just 3 branches ( 1 or 2 were snapped off by kids) . It receives afternoon shade-starting around 4 pm. Well drained, average soil. Maybe it needs more sun. Maybe it was an inferior plant to begin with. I am going to try to transplant it to a more remote location w/ more sun. I do not like how it looks when it has no leaves-too thin, too ratty.

On Feb 28, 2012, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A nice, deeply colored shrub. CPBR #2642

On May 12, 2011, cntryrocks from Princeton, KS wrote:

LOVE this shrub! I have 3 of them growing on the southwest side of my house. The first 2 I planted in 2007. they are now about 6ft high x 4ft across. I have never pruned them but probably will after they get done blooming. I have them planted with fire light spirea and autumn fire sedum. It is a beautiful combination.

On Oct 4, 2010, coaltwpgal from Croydon, PA wrote:

bought when 2 ft high, 3rd year, now almost 6 feet with more pillar like confirmation than wide. lovely color, attracts butterflies and bees. planted a little too near driveway and i need to know how and when to prune to lessen height and remove overhanging branches. any help appreciated.

On May 30, 2010, canadianplant from thunder bay
Canada (Zone 4b) wrote:

I bought this for a mothers day present. I planted it in full sun ( practicaly all day), about 2 feet away from my garage wall. I did nothing special to it at all. I left it unprotected this winter, and after finding out it was hardy to zone 5 ( in concidered 3B or 4B) was worried about it.

IT leafed out for me the beginning of May, and has just been speeding up everysingle day. I had minimal top kill ( about an inch of the top branches), and it started to flower about 3 days ago ( now May 30th).

It was about 2 feet high and around when I bought it, and Im predicting 4 feet by the summers end. The leaves are darker then last year, and so are the blooms ( now a rich burgundy) and twice the size.

I heard this can be slighly invasive, and yo... read more

On Jul 14, 2008, MtnGardener from Longmont, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I loved the plant in the nursery! Beautiful color. It dies back to the ground in the winter in my garden and is getting smaller each spring. I have amended clay soil in an area that routinely gets gust to 60mph and sustained winds of 35mph in the winter. This coming winter (08/09) I am going to build a wind block to see if it can make it through the winter. Not tough enough for my garden. The viburnums, lilacs, daphanes, St. John's Wort in the same bed have no problems.

On Sep 9, 2007, j1010 from Philadelphia, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

i bought a pair of the wine n roses 3 yrs ago from local produce junction, 2 for $5. planted them 3 ft apart as suggested. they are about 10 ft wide and 5 - 6 ft tall. beautiful burgundy foliage loves the sun and has lovely trumpet shaped fuschia colored flowers. blooms in early to mid-summer. i've noticed a 2nd bloom in late summer for the past 2 years. minimal care is needed.

On Nov 14, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

At this time of year, one can often find this and
other Weigelas for one single dollar at Lowe's
Hardware Store.

Count me in. I bought it, watered it and two
days later it was blooming again!

On Aug 18, 2006, soulbloom from Richmond, VA wrote:

Def. one of my favorite shrubs in my yard. I have several including Wine and Roses, Canary, and a white flowering Weigela. All of which I bought on clearance and paid no more than $1 for. They have done great for me and have all grown back healthy.

On Dec 9, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This shrub gets a lot of winter dieback in my zone and barely has any net growth per year. The flowers are nice. It is useful for a front border type shrub.

On Nov 30, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted a couple of these shrubs at church. It is a strong grower with no serious insect or disease problems. Mine are a year old and are already 3' high and 4' around. It may be pruned to maintain lower height.

It's also perfect for use in a Hummingbird garden or cut flower garden. The branches are used in flower arrangements. Like many perennials, trimming it back after it blooms in spring will often be rewarded with a second flowering.

It doesn't have to be planted in full sun, but the coloration is much darker if it is.

On Nov 21, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

There are three new purple-foliage Weigela on the market, developed by Herman Geers in Holland. All three have vivid pink to pinkish-purple flowers on compact, dwarf plants. 'Wine and Roses' (aka 'Alexandra') is the tallest of the three hybrids, reaching to 4 feet. It is also the most widely available in North American markets. All are hardy to zone 4.

On Apr 15, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Unlike the more common Weigelas, this one is grown for its purple/burgundy foliage, that contrasts with intense pink flowers.