Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Weeping Cherry Tree, Weeping Higan Cherry 'Pendula'

Prunus subhirtella

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: subhirtella (sub-HIR-tel-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pendula

Johnsonburg, Pennsylvania

Mercer, Pennsylvania

Vandergrift, Pennsylvania

North Augusta, South Carolina

Knoxville, Tennessee (2 reports)

Roan Mountain, Tennessee

Dammeron Valley, Utah

Concrete, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Apr 22, 2016, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

We inherited this tree when we bought our home. It was about 7 years old, had obviously been pruned, yet it stood twenty feet tall. It's a beautiful tree that gets morning shade and hot afternoon sun. In the ten years we've been here it has grown tall enough to necessitate pruning it back on the top regularly as it is situated next to the house. To do it justice, this tree needs to be set out where it can grow naturally and without restrictions. The form is interesting, developing great "mounds" of weeping branches. Some places say to "keep the soil moist", but I have sandy, silty, loam that dries to powder in the summer without careful watering. The longs months of fall, winter and most of spring are relentlessly wet, while our summers are very droughty (NW Washington state). The ... read more

On Mar 23, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The pendulous habit comes more or less true from seed, and consequently many different weeping clones of this species have been developed. That's why this is considered a botanical variety (var pendula) and not a cultivar.

The Latin descriptive names are long obsolete but still often encountered in commerce as pseudo-cultivars: 'Pendula' with white single flowers, 'Pendula Rosea' with pink single flowers, 'Pendula Plena' with double white flowers, 'Pendula Plena Rosea' with double pink flowers.

All are usually grafted at 6' on the species. The trunk usually thickens faster than the graft, and looks stubby in maturity. Bottom-grafted trees are usually multi-stemmed but to my eye look more elegant.

Fast growing. This is more pH adaptable than indi... read more

On Jul 5, 2013, AmberLily from Knoxville, TN wrote:

This is a lovely Tree in full bloom and the sleek green leaves in the summer are eye catching in my daughters yard. I give this tree a green thumbs up! Located in East Tennessee close to the Smoky Mountains National Park

On Apr 30, 2012, Irislover1906 from Cedar Lake, IN wrote:

I would like to add a weeping cherry tree to the yard. The neighbor, however, has many black walnut trees in his yard about 30 feet away. Will his trees prevent a weeping cherry tree from thriving? Thanks.

On May 4, 2009, TerriKG from Woodstock, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have three of these lovely shaped trees. I planted them three years ago. They have grown quickly. The first year the flowers were abundant and gorgeous. Last year I had no flowers and this year very few flowers.
Hmmmm.....I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I did not prune them beyond cutting the trailing branches that were hanging too low.

On Nov 19, 2007, georgewms from Knoxville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

below are some items from the information card that came with the plant.
Watering > water thoroughly once per week
Nutrients > fertilize lightly early each spring
Pruning > prune in spring after flowering
Fruit > black fruit ripens in the summer

I bought this tree at a local garden center in June or July so I haven't seen blooms yet and there was no fruit. By mid November all of the leaves have fallen off, not sure if that is usual or not. Hopefully a year from now I will be able to provide a good review of this plant.

plant enthuiast

On Mar 25, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Also known as 'Pendula Plena Rosea' and 'Yae Shidare-Higan'. Dbl flowered weeping cherry with rosy-pink blooms.