Wild Thyme, Creeping Thyme
Thymus praecox 'Pink Chintz'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Thymus (TY-muss) (Info)
Species: praecox (pray-koks) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Chintz

Ithaca, New York

Ashland, Oregon

Chiloquin, Oregon

West Chester, Pennsylvania

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Plano, Texas

Colville, Washington

On Apr 13, 2010, slrob from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Planted these last summer in a west-facing flowerbed. Got to see them bloom for the first time this spring and they are going to town!! Almost solid pink, can't hardly see the green leaves for all the little blooms! I was worried they wouldn't survive our record breaking snowfall/cold temps this past winter but they are little troopers and are showing off marvelously now. I've divided a few in the fall just to see if they'd do okay and they've all done great, so I plan to divide some more to fill in some other spots in the same bed.

On Aug 2, 2006, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Thymus serpyllum 'Pink Chintz' has somewhat wooly dark olive green foliage. It flowers so abundunt in june that it can often happen that it will overdo itself and will die from flowering..

On Jun 3, 2006, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Gorgeous paver plant. In mass and in bloom, they steal the show.
Mine grow in a very sunny, hot area between hot paver stones, and do very well there with minimal water.
They've been planted for only a month now, but have been in bloom the entire time, and show no signs of slowing down.

On Jan 22, 2006, Jelaine from Chiloquin, OR wrote:

This plant has been growing in my yard since Spring 2003. We had days of -10'F last winter and last December. Although we continue to have snow on the ground, this plant continues grow. It does not respond well to dog urine and dies out where our dogs visit it, but it does grow back after. I live in near Agency Lake in Chiloquin, OR--zone 4 to 5.

On Jun 9, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I have a lot of creeping thyme cultivars in my rock garden. This one did not do well, but I am on the edge of its range--the cold end of zone 5/the warm end of zone 4. The pink chintz thyme was straggly all summer and didn't come back in the spring. Other creeping thymes thrive here--my lawn has large patches of wild mother of thyme, and I have larges patches of creeping lime thyme, and a creeping lemon thyme. I also have woolly thyme, but that is marginal here and dies back in cold winters.

On Jun 8, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this plant as a ground cover or a "stepable" plant between stepping stones. It has a great fragrance and very delicate pink flowers when it's in bloom.

On Nov 13, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very fragrant plant, low to the ground and loves to spread. Great for a groundcover as it only reaches a height of 2". Little pink flowers adorn the foliage from June to September. Great in rock gardens or under trees as it can tolerate partial shade.