Impatiens, Busy Lizzy
Impatiens walleriana 'Accent Star Mix'

Family: Balsaminaceae
Genus: Impatiens (im-PAY-shuns) (Info)
Species: walleriana (wall-er-ee-AH-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Accent Star Mix
Additional cultivar information:(Accent™ series)

Not Applicable

Lexington, South Carolina

Salt Lake City, Utah

Galax, Virginia

On Jan 13, 2006, jarrett622 from Galax, VA wrote:

I have this plant. Actually, two of them, that are growing in my sunroom. The first plant I've had for 3 years and it blooms all winter long under the right conditions. I have several colors of this plant and I overwinter all of them. Early in the spring I take cuttings and put them in containers of water to root them. Any container will do. They aren't that fussy. I plant them outside in when the weather has warmed enough for them. I keep the main plant in a pot and set it out for the summer. In the fall I cut it back just before bringing it indoors.

I've experimented with planting seeds havested from these plants and it seems they don't grow true to the parent plant. The color reverts back to that light pink shade. However, I've never had any problem growing them from seed... read more

On Jan 16, 2005, kdjoergensen from Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have come to absolutely love the star accents mix. They stay very compact but really light up the flower beds. Towards the end of the summer, the only impatiens which still flowered as well as in spring was the star accents.

On Aug 24, 2004, MsMaati from Newburgh, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

These beautiful plants add sparkle to the shady areas that dominate my yard. They require daily watering in the dry months of the season, however, you get to enjoy them while you water them and they will grow to over 24" if you give them a good dose of decayed leaf compost when you plant them in the spring.

On Apr 28, 2003, jagonjune from Edmonton, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

One of the few plants that adds tremendous color to a fairly shaded yard. I prefer the double rose type but they are sometimes difficult to find in the garden centres. I have grown them successfully from seed on several occasions - use bottom heat and do not add fertilizer until much later than you would for other seedlings. Oddly I find much better germination rates for the packages of mixed seeds than for the single color packets. Any ideas why? (so I grow the mixed and give away the colors I don't like)

On Apr 22, 2003, auntgracie from Danielson, CT wrote:

It is recommended that soil temperature (not room temperature) be maintained at 75 degrees. Supposedly some misting is helpful but overall there is a degree of difficulty with impatiens as it requires nearly perfect conditions to germinate. So far I've had no luck with seed. Otherwise it's a wonderful plant in my shade garden and draws butterflies.

On Apr 20, 2003, Bug_Girl from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Purple, salmon or red flowers with a white star shaped pattern. I tried to grow these from seed last year but none came up. I just recently added some from a cell pack. They are F1 hybrids.