Aurora Borealis, Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi 'Marginata'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: fedtschenkoi (fed-tscheng-koh-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Marginata

Cactus and Succulents

Silver/Gray

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Pale Pink

Succulent

Plant is viviparous

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Gold Canyon, Arizona

Canton, Mississippi

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Carrollton, Texas

On Mar 3, 2015, 5Congas from West Palm Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

The plants pictured are not 'Aurora Borealis', which is variegated in the center of the leaves, instead of the edges (marginata) and has different color tones.

On May 2, 2014, GravelGardner from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

In Gold Canyon, AZ this plant is easily grown in morning sun or filtered afternoon shade. Cuttings root quickly in a clay/sand soil mixture. Great in rock gardens with bi-weekly watering during the hot summer temperatures. The very long lasting pink blossoms bloom profusely on 2 ft tall spikes in early spring (January to February). Hummingbirds love it! In 2 years one cutting will spread to many. It has been hardy to about 28. I have successfully covered it with frost cloth, too. It has not been bothered by any insects.

On Feb 17, 2013, buenavistahh from Holly Hill, FL wrote:

i got some cuttings from a friends yard, and just put them in the ground. i livein daytona beach, fl. it took a couple years, but they have grown and spread and are now in full bloom. we have had several nights in the 30's this year, but they are still thriving! absolutely beautiful plant, and for me, easy to grow.

On Jul 2, 2008, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

For a long time I didn't know what the name of this plant was. I had it in a very small pot and I treated it as a houseplant. It got filtered bright light from my glass wall. When it grew a lot taller, the stem of the plant wanted to hang down. I let it be. And then the leaves started twisting and curving in interesting ways. Now I have it in a hanging basket outdoors. It will get half day sun. Getting a direct sun makes the outlines of the leaves turn pink (a lot pinker than what is shown in the pictures). It is not demanding and so far, it is free of bugs and pests. I have yet to find out what kind of flowers mine will bloom but the foliage alone is worth it. A must have for people who enjoy exotic and unusual plants that require minimal attention/water. Mine falls one zone outside this ... read more