Floribunda Rose 'Intrigue'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Intrigue
Additional cultivar information:(PP5002, aka JACum)
Hybridized by Warriner
Registered or introduced: 1982

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patent expired

Other Details:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Snohomish, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Jun 19, 2014, Flowerpower2014 from Boyce, LA wrote:

I usually never meet a flower I don't like but this rose is a big disappointment. When I purchased it a while back it had a few beautiful delicious smelling blooms. It's now been planted about two or three months and it's completed defoliated because it had black spot so bad. It's sitting next to Granada and they both get the same love and Granada is big, full of blooms and as healthy as it can be. I've got about 30 roses some of which or more finicky than others and so far this is the worst. Maybe it'll improve this fall if not then I get to get a new rose. If your thinking three months isn't enough time to judge a rose I' have several others planted at the same time and they are on their third flush now.

On Apr 20, 2014, cowboybikerdude from Barrett, TX wrote:

if you can't keep this one alive even in TX droughts, you better hang it up.

On Apr 25, 2012, kitcatt from Granite Falls, WA wrote:

This is a gorgeous rose. Violet in color and nothing quite like it that I've grown before. I planted Intrigue last spring, despite our horrible wet summer this rose came through without a smidge of blackspot or mildew. A little slow to repeat, (that might of been from lack of sun) it was well worth the wait for the second flush in late summer. It came through our mild winter with lots of new growth. I've just planted a new Intrigue tree rose and look forward to the beautiful display of blossoms this summer. This is definately a rose for people who like purple.

On Jul 17, 2011, les_boi from Boise, ID wrote:

Bought 4 Intrigue plants this spring. Each planted in different spot in my yard to see where it likes living best. So far it likes being EVERYWHERE! Morning sun/afternoon shade... Morning shade /afternoon sun...All Day Sun! I love it!

On Jun 22, 2011, jonathon32 from Glendale, AZ wrote:

I planted Intrigue aproximately one month ago in the outdoor summer heat of PHX and to my surprise with water everyday I actually have rose buds appearing. This was one of the last three that the nursery had when I picked it up and it was in terrible shape. However it is steadily growing now.

On Jun 16, 2011, ContainerGardener from Pleasanton, CA wrote:

This is the third season for the Intrigue in my container garden. I got it as a bare root and planted in February 2008. I was drawn to it by the lable, 'Award Winner'! Yes, it kept up to my expecations. Fragrance fills the air when it blooms and I would say it is a great bloomer for being in a 4 gallon container. I water it regularly, just use coffee grounds and no chemical fertilizer. I cultivate around the plant and use wood chip mulch. The key is I trim the branch once the blooming is done. Cut flowers stay fresh in the vase for a week, if I keep changing the water every 2 days.

On Apr 17, 2011, laraska from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I purchased my Intrigue rose at a clearance sale. It was one of the last 3 the nursery had, and it looked really sad. However, it made a wonderful comeback and now produces the most beautiful purple blossoms with the most heavenly scent I have ever smelled in a rose. I have had no problems with disease, other than a touch of mildew, which most all of my roses suffered from this year. This is my favorite rose in my garden.

On Oct 22, 2009, Cowdung from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

I have this rose as a potted tree-style rose. Blooms are great--nice, strong fragrance, unique purple-ish color. No problems with blackspot, mildew or anything else.

I'm not quite sure how to protect it for winter in Wisconsin though...

On Jul 27, 2009, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

My intrigue is now on its second season. Planted last season this plant was servely damaged by a grubb attack. It made it through the zone 6 winter, but i decided to remove it for something that would grow better. i was going to can it but decided to keep it and grow it in a planter.

Wow,this rose had a great comeback. It has had a serious growth spur, with 4 new canes and has given 3 flushes so far. The roses are a deep plum pointed and very fragrant approx "3" in size. I have never had any blackspots, or mildew on this rose. It has been disease resistant. The flowers donot lose their color, they do not fade, not even in the hot sun, they keep their color from start to finish.

Great addition to any garden.

On May 19, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 5002 has expired

On Oct 27, 2008, gmasdirt from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I have grown this rose in 3 different gardens in the Salt Lake Valley of Utah. The fragrance, color, bloom time and appearance have been exceptional in each location and even as a tree rose. It is November and we have had several frosts and it is still blooming well. Next to Double Delight, it is my first choice of fragrant roses.

On Oct 29, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I rarely give a negative to a plant, but couldn't rationalize even a neutral for this one!! I have many roses, and all get the best care I know how to give them, and 99.9% do great - but this one is a spindly, puny, blackspot magnet that doesn't bloom often or well enough to justify the HUGE pain in the you-know-what it is!!! I was taken with the color I saw in pics and catalogs, and read of the lovely fragrance....so I gave it 2 1/2 years, but it has steadily declined, and will be coming out this winter to make way for something - anything -else. Too many great purple, fragrant roses out there to fight with this mess any longer!!

On Oct 29, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

The scent completely captivated me and so I had to have it, despite warnings about its propensity for black spot. Not a problem in my garden, so far so good.

On Jul 26, 2006, indiana_lily from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Even dealing with black spot, Japanese Beetles and severe heat this summer, this rose has been a real trooper! Always in bloom.

On Jun 3, 2006, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

A weak, spindly, blackspot ridden mess. Never again.

On Oct 31, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love to look at the roses, but do not have a real knowledge of rose bushes in general and with 8 gardens to tend, don't have the time or energy to pamper them. This one is a dependable and prolific bloomer. I have it planted outside my back door (southern exposure) where it has some protection from harsh winters.

My rose bush puts out beautiful lavendar/mauve two tone blooms that are very fragrant and bloom most of the summer until the really cold weather sets in. This appears to be a tough little rose and has survived my uneducated prunings and mid summer non-care. I have had it loose all it's leaves in summer to bugs only to come back and surprise me as late as December with a beautiful blossom.

On Sep 17, 2004, soozin from Lowell, MA wrote:

Planted this rose bareroot in June 2004 in full sun (from 1 hour after sunrise until 4 pm) in a 2 foot hole backfilled with a mixture of soil, peat, well rotted manure, dash of bone meal and rose food. It has bloomed at least four times between June and September. It hardly finishes blooming before it begins developing new blooms. No problems whatsoever with blackspot or mildew, even though there were some very rainy periods in Massachusetts this summer. The color is dramatic and lovely. A classic and a real winner!

On Apr 20, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful, vigorous rose. Mine is trained as a 3' standard. Fragrance is citrus-y.