Cherokee Rose, Rosier Blanc de Neige, Snow-White Rose
Rosa laevigata

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Species: laevigata (lee-vih-GAY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Rosa nivea

Other Details:

Stems are moderately thorny

Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

Avoid pruning

Charlottesville, Virginia

Petersburg, Virginia

Richlands, Virginia

On Sep 19, 2013, amallen from Johns Island, SC wrote:

We first "discovered" this plant on a kayaking trip deep into a black water swamp in South Carolina. I bought one from a local nursery even though the manager told me to be careful where I planted it because once it got going it would be impossible to stop. I planted it on the sunny side at the base of a very tall pine and put hardware cloth around it to keep the deer off. I also loosely tied the canes to the tree to encourage climbing. I fed it the first year and then left it completely on its own. Eleven years later with no help from me it is now fifty feet up the tree and spreading into other pines as well. Spring bloom is spectacular but now I have to figure out how to bring it under control. I'm sure I could get more bloom with pruning which I have yet to do. The giant thorns do ma... read more

On May 10, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I recently visited GA and saw this rose growing in a high Victorian home's garden. I was told some of the roses in the garden was planted by the original owner in the late 1800's... I fell in love with them! SO, I bought one and currently have it in a pot (as I do all my roses). It seems to be doing okay thus far. It's looking a little sad and sparce after it's trip in a box some weeks ago but, it's still kickin'! I also took a few cuttings and am hoping they will sprout for my Aunt and a friend that lives in TN. They both want one.

I read that Cherokee Roses CAN live in FL... but, I have never seen them this far South. It's unbelievably HOT down here (it was 94 yesterday and we are only in the beginning of May) so I hope the heat doesn't effect it. It might not even bloom ... read more

On May 29, 2008, Sasha24641 from Richlands, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have this wildrose growing in my backyard, and side yard. It's a native shrub here in southwestern Virginia. Yes, it can be invasive, but the fragrance from this Rose makes it worth keeping contained!! When in full bloom, it is so beautiful. See my photo.

On Jun 24, 2007, CutNGlass from Hendersonville, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Make sure you have this and not an invasive which can be mistaken for this -- we had several wild roses very similar to this on our property. One was growing up into and nearly killing a dogwood tree (keeping all sunlight from it. Base of that rose was so large that I could not cut it with even my largest limb lopper -- had to use a chain saw! Note: that one bloomed in spring, so it's description matches the cherokee rose more closely than the mccartney rose. I am unsure if it was yet another similar one, so I put this comment as "neutral" rather than "negative"

Controversial as to if invasive or not - check on what it is like WHERE YOU ARE AT
While it is the State Flower of Georgia, it has been reported to be invasive in other areas.

"The 'Cherok... read more

On Dec 27, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Cherokee Rose, Rosier Blanc de Neige, Snow-White Rose Rosa laevigata is naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive plant in Texas.

On Jun 27, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Some folklore I once read, (or perhaps it was an accurate historical factoid), about this plant is that it was brought to the Americas by the colonists. They used is as a deer break around their gardens. It grows very densely under the right conditions. The thorns are so sharp that deer won't walk through it, and it can grow high enough that the deer can't jump over it (though it is hard for me to believe that there is anything that deer can't jump!).

Those of you with deer problems may want to go back to one of our nation's oldest method of deer control. In its single, annual Springtime blooming period, the Cherokee Rose is an amazing mass of flat, white flowers. I used it as the subject for one of my oil paintings.

It can be propagated by rooting pruned... read more

On Apr 24, 2005, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Mine is in full glorious bloom right now!!! Wish I had a digicam to post a pic.
I got this as a bare-root plant last spring and this is it's first year to bloom. It has really grown on the fence as well.
So far it has been worry-free and healthy.

Edited to say that it is now almost Christmas and this rose appears to be evergreen! It is as green as it was in the spring.

On May 28, 2004, vanity1220 from Woodville, TX wrote:

I live in Southeast Texas and this flower grows beautifully here. I never knew very much about it; so your site has been very helpful. Thank You

On May 25, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This beautiful native climbing rose blooms in early April in Summerville, South Carolina (U.S.), where winter temperatures rarely fall below 10F. It climbs trees in the woods by means of numerous, VERY SHARP thorns, but it must be tied upward if transplanted to a yard setting. Blooms are spectacular!

On May 24, 2003, patcox from Carrollton, GA wrote:

Mounding bush to 5 ft. or climber to 15 ft., the Cherokee Rose is the state flower of Georgia. I found it easy to grow and maintain as a teen on our mailbox (it protected the mailbox from "bashers"), so I would say it is easy to grow.