PlantFiles: Flowering Cherry, Sheraton Cherry, Kwanzan Cherry, Kanzan Cherry
Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: serrulata (ser-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Kanzan
Additional cultivar information: (aka Kwanzan, Sekiyama, Sekizan)

Thumbnail #1 of Prunus serrulata by hczone6

Thumbnail #6 of Prunus serrulata by DreamOfSpring

By DreamOfSpring
Thumbnail #7 of Prunus serrulata by DreamOfSpring

Neutral coriaceous On Mar 15, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is by far the most commonly planted ornamental cherry around here. The pink flowers are huge, and this tree is the latest cherry to bloom. I enjoy the pink snowstorm that ends the display. And the leaves do give some color in the fall.

But I agree that this tree's habit isn't very graceful. And, like most cherries, its thirsty shallow roots make it hard to underplant with perennials in the garden. For 50 weeks a year it doesn't contribute much to the garden. And our 20-year-old tree is approaching the end of its life.

For the garden, I think 'Hally Jolivette' is a much better choice, for its more manageable size and its much longer season of bloom.

Negative DonnaMack On Sep 8, 2010, DonnaMack from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very beautiful, but short lived. Many of the serrulata live for only 10-15 years, and Kwanzan is worse than most. Ours lived on 7 years after purchase, and we later learned from Michael Dirr that viruses lead to gradual decline, and then death. In our experience, if you put one in of any size (ours was about seven feet) you will get only a few years from it, and then it must be removed. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Positive blossombloom On Dec 1, 2006, blossombloom from Griffin, GA wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm starting to landscape my property in the spring and can't wait to add these beauties to my front yard. I plan to purchase a total of 10 to line my drive way.
I can see my children and myself out dancing while the petals fall.
I'm hoping that this is a good place to put them, I guess I'll just have to live and learn. I'll let you know the details later.

Positive pajaritomt On Aug 1, 2006, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted a Kwanzan cherry in my front yard because I noticed a few (very few) of them flowering in the spring in my area. I had no idea what tree it was but kept on knocking on owners' doors until I found one who knew the tree's name.
I bought and planted it in flower. It survived its first year and bloomed better than before. It was a small tree and I didn't pay much for it, but so far, I truly love it. I look forward to watching it grow.

Positive xdogladyx On May 3, 2006, xdogladyx from Bath, PA wrote:

Our tree was planted in 1972 and is the largest I have seen. It is quite beautiful each spring. By covering the pond and keeping the garage door closed, we can enjoy the pink "snow storm" as the petals fall. It is not bothered with Japanese beetles and is only trimmed when a branch hangs too low. Since it is in a garden, we don't worry about any exposed roots. Birds, especially finches, roost in it and hide from hawks. If you don't mind sweeping the pink petals or washing your car after the petals have fallen, this is a wonderful addition to your property.

Neutral raisedbedbob On Jan 30, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

While this is a beautiful tree, it needs constant pruning to contain it and to maintain some semblance of shape. Experience has taught me not to plant them near a house.

Positive Kwanzon On Jul 22, 2005, Kwanzon from Milford, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought a kwanzan this year. I have seen them before and I really like them. I too have the problem with japanese beetles but if you knock the beetles in soapy water they can't fly away and will die. It is working for me extremly well and I can't wait till it blooms in the spring.

Positive possumtrot On Jul 4, 2005, possumtrot from Calvert City, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I recently planted a 4 year old, this spring and it has been my favorite thus far! The flowers are beautiful and smell wonderful. The only problem I have is with the Jap. beetles, they love it too! Fast Growing! Trained properly it spreds out nicely.

Negative designart On Apr 25, 2005, designart from Schwenksville, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Many people like this tree because of its large pink flowers in spring. However, I find the tree lacks grace. It appears top heavy, especially in bloom, has a stout trunk and the tree frequently tilts after planting.

Okay...after taking 20 some photos of blooming trees this morning, I have to admit that they can be attractive in the right setting. Found a nice shot of a 'tilting' Kwanzan too!

Oakland, California