Japanese Spirea, Japanese Meadowsweet, Maybush 'Anthony Waterer'

Spiraea x bumalda

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spiraea (spy-REE-ah) (Info)
Species: x bumalda (boo-MAHL-dah) (Info)
Cultivar: Anthony Waterer
Synonym:Spiraea japonica

From leaf cuttings

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Fayette, Alabama

Lexington, Virginia

Bellingham, Washington

Twisp, Washington

On Aug 3, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This has been the most popular cultivar for decades and still is commonly sold. Its flowers are medium pink and its foliage is green. It gets a good reddish fall color. It might be that more yellow-foliaged cultivars are being sold now than what this cultivar is sold now, unfortunately. Too much yellow or red foliaged woody plants are against good landscape design rules; they can only be accents, not mainstays. AW is a pretty plant. It should be pruned down to the ground leaving just a few 6" high stems when the plants get too big or messy in time. It can by itself get to 5 feet high and 8 feet wide or more in time. It does escape by seed from cultivation and I have seen it invading the wild in the eastern US.

On Jun 28, 2013, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love my spirea and have a beautiful arrangement of hydrangea and spirea in my living room now. But until today, when I looked it up in the plantsfiles, did I find out I needed to deadhead it and it would bloom again in the same year. I"m thrilled! By the way, I grew up calling it meadowsweet.

On Aug 19, 2010, plant_manager from Lombard, IL wrote:

I was reviewing all the plantings in my 1/4 acre only to realize that the retailers and catalog nurseries take no responsibility in identifying plants as native or introduced. Spirea is not native to the United States. There so are many more beautiful native shrubs, such as fothergilla, the vibernums, azaleas, dogwoods and so many others, that you never have to plant any introductions, especially spirea which will choke out desirable natives.

On Oct 26, 2007, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

I saw this shrub in someone else's yard and had to have one. I now have two. I don't do anything extra for them except water them and if I happen to be nearby, pinch off the dead blossoms. I was very surprised the first time I did this, when it put out new blooms. This bush has lovely pink flowers and requires very little attention.

On Jul 6, 2005, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

A very easy care plant. I have a row along the north side of my veggie garden, and when we built the house, I moved some of them to the front of the deck. They moved wonderfully, and bounced right back. The ones by the deck don't get as much water as the ones by the garden, but they are doing just as well.

On Oct 27, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have several of these around our foundation and along the walkway in front. They make a wonderful foil to the Rosy Glow Barberry if you're looking for a companion plant.

I've had no problems with these since planting about 5 years ago, in fact, they grow so well that sometimes I have to cut them back in both spring and fall! They take pruning very nicely - I simply round mine - but even if you clip them back too far, they will spring back over the course of a year. You can clip off the old blooms once they fade and they will rebloom.

Mine are planted on both the north and south sides of my house and seem to thrive in full or partial sun. beautiful pink flowers in late spring, and again in late summer if cut back.
Moist well drained soil is what w... read more

On May 24, 2004, Razorbacks from Maumelle, AR wrote:

I just purchased three of these beautiful plants, but I don't know anything about how to take care of them.

On May 1, 2004, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

I have several of these along the southeast side of my house and they have done beautifully. I live in zone 8 and they have come back every year. I have never pruned them back; however, I do mulch them. They are carefree plants for me, and I would recommend them.

On Apr 30, 2004, mistywaters from Ragley, LA wrote:

I live in the lower part of zone 8. Where this particular spirea is planted, it gets full sun off and on throughout the day. Make sure to mulch well in winter and water plenty during the growing season. Dead head the old blooms for continued flowering.

On Jul 21, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've had mixed results with this variety, and I can only recommend that you buy the biggest specimen you can find (3 gallon is preferable to a one-gallon, and I wouldn't bother with a quart-size plant.) Might be my skills as a gardener, but the smaller ones seem to have more winter kill problems, or just plain don't come back in the spring.

Once established, a very easy shrub - prune the dead branches in the spring, deadhead after it puts on the first flush of blooms, and you'll generally get a repeat bloom in the fall.