Eastern Redbud, Canadian Redbud, Judas Tree 'Silver Cloud'

Cercis canadensis

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cercis (SER-sis) (Info)
Species: canadensis (ka-na-DEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Cloud

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Lexington, Virginia

Providence Forge, Virginia

On Apr 9, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A very beautiful tree with an unusual characteristic. After flowering, the foliage emerges as a solid lime green. The variegation appears as the season progresses. I know this first hand. I had purchased a tree from Rare Find Nursery and when the foliage appeared it was solid lime green. I immediately called them advising I had the wrong plant and I got credited. I proceeded to buy another Silver Cloud from Sooner Plant Farm and imagine my surprise the foliage on this tree also appeared as lime green. I called Sooner and the person w/whom I spoke told me the foliage developed variegation as the plant matured. Sure enough, it did. Because of this oddity, I now have two beautiful Silver Cloud redbuds. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether this is characteristic of a y... read more

On Feb 25, 2010, BeerWench13 from Providence Forge, VA wrote:

We planted an Eastern Redbud in our yard more than 8 years ago. It is a beautiful tree that has grown well, but not too much. The pretty bright pink buds are beautiful in the spring, the dense green foliage lovely in the summer, but in the fall when the leaves are changing is when it is its prettiest, in my opinion. The leaves turn bright orange and yellow and the tree really stands out when the sun strikes it.

On Dec 3, 2006, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

'Silver Cloud' redbud is a fine variegated selection of the native redbud. This tree was selected by the late renowned Louisville nurseryman Theodore Klein who contributed generously to the plant palette of the Ohio River valley region and beyond.

The foliage variegation is predominantly white patterning, with occasional hints of pink and pale green within the normal green framework. The flowering character is somewhat lighter in density (probably due to less photosynthesis during the growing season) but similar in color to seedling redbuds. This tree's form is finer and lacier than typical redbud due to thinner twigs and branches.

This plant shines in shade. The white/silver foliage brings a brightness to darker sites, and contrasts very well with darker ... read more

On Jun 21, 2004, DorothyLanier wrote:

The Eastern redbud has done remarkably well here in Fayetteville, TN. It flowers profusely in spring and has a beautiful dense foliage in the summer months. Also have a White bud tree that also has flowered profusely, and is also a beautiful tree. Both trees have been covered with many, many seed pods.