Melic Grass
Melica transsilvanica 'Red Spires'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Melica (ME-lee-kuh) (Info)
Species: transsilvanica (trans-il-VAN-ik-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Spires
Synonym:Melica ciliata var. transsilvanica

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Scarlet (Dark Red)

This plant is resistant to deer

Washington, Illinois

Des Moines, Iowa

Spokane, Washington

positive

On Jun 4, 2011, Spokaloo from Spokane, WA wrote:

This is a beautiful, airy, light green grass. The seeds are wonderful...and fertile. I have seedlings everywhere. I'm going to pull the seedheads immediately this year to eliminate the seedlings. Additionally, this needs to be staked as it tends to topple over. I would not recommend this for a controlled setting but it would be wonderful in a wilder setting.

On Jul 17, 2008, MaukaToMakai wrote:

Potentially very invasive in Hawai'i. Do not plant there.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

The seed heads are nice, but my real reason for having Red Spire Grass is for what it draws. I love to look out and see cardinals eating from it. The grass itself provides protection for smaller critters. A definite must for nature lovers!

'Red Spires' is hardy to zone 5, and can take partial sun. Blooms in July in my garden.

On Jul 16, 2003, Dhanu wrote:

Melica Transsilvanica-pearl grass 'Red Spire' can be easily started from seed indoors. I had almost 90% germination from a pkg of seeds. The seedlings will grow fast. The foliage looks interesting. This is the 1st year I am growing it. If you have any other inf. on this grass , would you please let me know?