PlantFiles: Phalsa, Falsa
Grewia subinaequalis

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Grewia (GREW-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: subinaequalis (sub-in-ee-KWA-liss) (Info)

Synonym:Grewia asiatica

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By Chamma

Thumbnail #5 of Grewia subinaequalis by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #6 of Grewia subinaequalis by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #7 of Grewia subinaequalis by Thaumaturgist

Neutral frankyjay On Aug 17, 2013, frankyjay wrote:

I have 2 established Phalsa bushes and i am trying to grow more, I have tried seed germination, it is somewhat successful and plants grow to about 2-3 inches but then they die, what am I doing wrong?

I would highly appreciate if someone can shed light and guide me in a right direction. Thanks

Positive DrKadri On Nov 2, 2012, DrKadri from Greatwood, TX wrote:

I have grown phalsa trees from the seedlings imported from Asia. I now have three stems that are 20 - 30 inches high at 15 months.
I have carefully maintained the soil type in the pots and then put them in the ground at 4 months.

You will be astonished to hear that I have 2-3 falsa (Phalsa) growing on one of the stems, at the plant age of 15 months. I have taken photos of the plants to show their health.

I made a considerable investment in getting this going and will soon be able to sell 3 - 6" high plants to recover some of my capital investment, and propogate the growth of this excellent fruit/berry in the US.

Positive ichoudhury On Jul 4, 2012, ichoudhury from Lilburn, GA wrote:

Phalsa is one amazing fruit. My father collected and planted couple of trees that served us delicious fruit for many years. In fact, I loved it so much, I have been searching for it for a long time! Dark purple blueberries remind me of phalsa (those that are really sweet with a slight tartness ). Mmm!

So in Georgia, I never could germinate those seed. I've tried various resources , including a kind person from Pakistan mailed me some seeds (free of charge) . I tried heating pad, to all other germination technique. I may had to put them through stratification period. Anyway, I finally found a seller (thanks to Dave's Garden) selling some. Hopefully I will be able to taste some fruit one day soon. By the way, here is a great resource if you want to learn more on Phalsahttp://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-...

*by the way, if you love this plant, give it positive rating (not neutral or negative). Just saying ;)

Positive Dornier328300 On Dec 27, 2010, Dornier328300 from Chicago, IL wrote:

Does anyone know where in Florida can I find this fruit?

Thanks,

Dornier328300

Neutral Thaumaturgist On May 27, 2004, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

A native of the Indian subcontinent, the deciduous
Phalsa is so rare here in the US that only a handful
of rare fruit enthusiasts seem to be aware of it.

Used extensively in Folk medicine in its native land,
the Vitamin C enriched Phalsa has now become the
subject of renewed medical research in many countries
of the world.

The most talked about Phalsa tree on public property,
a beautiful and healthy specimen in Fruit & Spice Park
in Homestead, Florida, got decimated by Hurricane
Andrew in August, 1992.

Neutral Chamma On May 17, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Whew! it took alot of research to ID this one! Phalsa Is a large scraggly-looking bush or a small tree reaching 15-16 feet. The fruits are edible and are highly perishable. The fruits are borne in early summer and are approximately 1" in diameter.The skin of the ripened fruit is purple. It is used in India as a beverage fruit and the taste is similar to a grape although the texture reminds me more of a crabapple or apple. There is a single seed in the middle of the fruit.
The phalsa is indigenous to INDIA, Pakistan and Southeast Asia. It has been introduced in the Philippines and Georgia and Florida in the USA. It is also found in Puerto Rico.
Phalsa grows in many types of soil and the tree is drought tolerant.
The leaves of the Phalsa plant are used as animal fodder. In parts of southeast Asia, the bark is used as a soap substitute. The wood, because it is flexible, is used in making long poles for carrying loads on the shoulder and in basket weaving.
The fruit in Pakistan is used for its medicinal properties.
The green fruits are known to cure stomach aches. The leaves are used to aleviate boils on the skin. (antibiotic properties?) I planted a tree in my garden and I have been told that within one year it will bear fruits! Insha'allah!

Grenoble,
Canoga Park, California
Encino, California
Rockledge, Florida
Sarasota, Florida
Venice, Florida
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Sugar Land, Texas (2 reports)