Guaiacum, Guayacan, Pockholz, Tree of Life, Lignum Vitae

Guaiacum officinale

Family: Zygophyllaceae
Genus: Guaiacum (GWY-uh-kum) (Info)
Species: officinale (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-lee) (Info)

Light Blue

West Palm Beach, Florida

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

On Jul 30, 2013, IslandTransplant from Staniel Cay
Bahamas (Zone 12a) wrote:

This is the national tree of the Bahamas, where I live. It is also used medicinally as a tea and bath. It takes a very long time to grow, but it is quite hardy and beautiful. Mine are growing in the rocky hillside with scant dirt. None of the trees on my property reach more than 8 feet or so due to a nearly constant easterly wind.

On Feb 16, 2010, fanfare from Jamaica, NY wrote:

In my homeland of Jamaica, West Indies, this plant is the national flowers. In Jamaica the wood is used to make beautiful furniture and when I was a child, the wood of the lignum vitae was also used to make "gigs" which is a toy played with by many Jamaican children. I 50 yrs old so I dont know if this toy is still being made or played with. The wood of the lignum vitae was chosen for this toy because of its durability.

On Dec 8, 2009, timrann from Other
Mauritius wrote:

First and only place i've seen this plant was in Oman.I thought it was a type of Duranta or something, but identified it here (Dave's). It seems to grow very well in dry place like in Oman. The seeds are black and elongated in a single or twin seeded orange pods. Inflorescence are white and purple and very dense on established specimen.

On May 18, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a very slow growing tree but well worth the wait. It is beautiful when in bloom! The wood is heavier than water and sinks! It is some of the densest and hardest wood known. The wood of Lignum Vitae is full of oil and ball bearing made from it never need to be lubricated as it is self lubricating!