Climber, Hybrid Tea, Large-Flowered Climbing Rose 'Don Juan'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Don Juan

Other Details:

Susceptible to black spot

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Clearwater, Florida

Deltona, Florida

Fernandina Beach, Florida

Maitland, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

Panama City, Florida

Evansville, Indiana

Westfield, Indiana

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Alexandria, Louisiana

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Ferriday, Louisiana

Winchester, Virginia

Chelan, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 10, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Highly prone to black spot, and not very hardy. Despite its frequent appearance at retailers here, it really is a highly unsuitable rose for New England. If you want a red climber for the Northeast, try Amadeus!

On Oct 15, 2012, davebert from Durham, NC wrote:

A great climber in the 10' to 12' range. Most flowers appear as 1 and up to 3 per stem, and are very suitable for cutting. This climber is best trained while new growth is young and pliable. Mature wood is very stiff and will break if attempts are made to wrap growth around a pillar or over an arbor. Disease resistance is good here in central North Carolina, the flowers resist balling during spring and fall damp weather and hold up well under the hot summer sun.

On Aug 26, 2012, MarcoPlo from Sudbury , ON (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very prolific grower. Dark Velvet Red. Extremely beautiful fragrance, somewhere between what a REAL Rose ought to smell like & fresh Raspberries!!!! Can't tell you enough how delicious this rose is. Survived a Canadian Zone 4a Winter after being cut back in the fall, covered in mulch & rose cones. They get light from 9am to about 1pm & grew back (second year) very tall & full of blossoms, with very little care upon the plants aside from good soaking every other day. I could not be more pleased with Don Juan!

On Jun 11, 2012, etherealsunshin from Wyanet, IL wrote:

I have this rose on a trellis under the edge of our 2nd story patio. It is three years old this summer and is blooming like crazy right now. I did have a problem with some bugs early in the spring and had to discard about 10 deformed buds that were eaten before I noticed and sprayed with an insecticide (Bayer). The japanese beetles were awful last fall and love devouring my roses, but a good spray-down with insecticide/repellent saved my roses and shrubs. I had to cut it down to the ground last spring after a brutal winter in zone 5a with -20 temps for a week, but it sprang back and got to around 6' by the end of the summer--and I wind the canes back and forth horizontally, so I'm sure some canes would reach 10' in a single growing season if they weren't so compactly trained. I judici... read more

On Apr 7, 2012, aubreysrose from Bowling Green, KY wrote:

Beautiful deep red blooms. First rose to bloom this spring. Very disease resistant and low maintenance.

On Mar 27, 2012, theGardenNut from Bloomfield Township, MI wrote:

We grew this in Windsor, Ontario. When we planted it, I was traveling so I could only provide limited care. It was planted on a fence. It grew to cover the fence in a season and we had season long, huge, fragrant red flowers in profusion.

One of the most fragrant, rapidly growing and hardy roses!

On Mar 10, 2011, amberroses from Largo, FL wrote:

Very impressive. It does get BS in my Florida yard, but it always shakes it off. Nice smell too.

On Jul 18, 2010, AZ_Alkmaar from Westfield, IN wrote:

Beautiful rose, grows well in zone 5 too and survived several terrible winters. It is somewhat suscpetible to black spot, but disease does not spread fast and plus new growth compensate the loss. Attracts large number of Japanese beatls.

On Jun 8, 2010, Aquarius247 from Lake Alfred, FL wrote:

This rose has been growing by my front door for the past 20 years and it still blooms profusely with large, deep red, fragrant roses. It has needed little care except occasional spraying for black spot.

On Apr 6, 2010, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

This rose smells so good. I can't believe how intense the rose fragrance is. It smells like what I think a rose should smell like. The blooms are HUGE. I can't recommend this one enough!

On Mar 23, 2010, chgogardennut from Chicago, IL wrote:

This is my first attempt at growing roses especially climbing roses. I brought this and many other roses on a whelm at a huge local hardware store. This was a bare root in a bag. It grew wonderful all last summer! My concern was it going to survive the winter! Most of the roses that I put in previous winter (2008) did not survive! I live in Chicago, Illinois (Zone 5). To my delight, it has survive and starting to bud!

I am anxious to see how well it is going bloom especially after I relocate it!

On Oct 29, 2009, eli_buda from Buda, TX wrote:

My Don Juan is planted in front of our picture window in the front of our house. Not knowing how well the plant would grow we planted two of them side by side about three feet between them. To our surprise both plants took off, it double in size within the first year, we live in Zone 8-9 12 miles from Austin TX. The rose bush has now grown up to the second story of our home and going strong. We could not be more pleased, the beauty and the fragrance is amazing!

On Aug 17, 2009, miaroxc from San Rafael, CA wrote:

I am having a hard time getting flowers from this rose after the first in spring. It seems that there are very few 5 leaflets. Mostly 7 and some 9. Any suggestions?

On Apr 6, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1864 has expired

On Mar 29, 2009, dwelrod from Baxter, TN wrote:

both of my don juan roses are very healthy but i cant get them to grow in a climbing habit.

On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Still quite possibly the best climbing red rose. Luscious red velvet flowers, wonderful fragrance, extremely healthy plant. Does occasionally get some mildew, but "shakes it off" normally. Wonderful first rose for the nervous new rose person, as long as it gets 8 hours of sun and half decent soil it will perform. I grow this on my back fence along with Lady Banks and Climbing Old Blush, this one outperforms the Climbing Old Blush, and blooms longer and is far more manageable than Lady Banks, though I love Lady Banks. Good rose for smaller areas too, very manageable size for a climber.

On Jun 13, 2008, goofybulb from (Zone 5b) wrote:

In a pot outside, and regular watering, this is a very rewarding rose to have in Miami. Beautifully shaped blooms, the flowers last longer than other roses that I have, and the scent is wonderful. Also, it seems more resistant to black spot (at least mine was) than other roses that I've tried.

On May 31, 2008, bungalow1056 from Winston-Salem, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a fantastic rose. The color is a true, deep, velvety red. New growth is also tinged red. I am training mine as a pillar. It has a distinct upright growth habit. The scent on this one is amazing, a little fruity/citrus, a little spicy with a heaping dose of classic tea. It smells just like a deep red rose should.

On Apr 21, 2008, Forensicmom from Millersville, MD wrote:

This was planted last spring and performed wonderfully. However the voles decided to have it for dessert. The roots were TOTALLY eaten. I thought it was dead so I pushed it back in the ground, added some rootgrow and left it along ALL winter. To my surprise, it grew back and has tripled in size. It's now totally covered in buds and full of that beautiful dark purple new growth.

On Mar 17, 2008, marsue from Isabella, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

Don Juan is a beautiful dark red large-blossomed rose. We planted two of these climbers in the spring of 2007 and they doubled their size in just 6 months. Although other comments indicate that Don Juan is very fragrant, mine was only slightly fragrant. Perhaps the fragrance will be heavier the second year of growth. Also, my Don Juan has very large, sharp thorns on it. However, I love this rose in spite of the thorns!

On Mar 17, 2008, cloverlymd from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

I grow this in a rather shady spot, and it doesn't repeat much for me. It's worth it. Beautiful deep red with a good scent.

On Jul 1, 2006, shellabella from West Central, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this climber. The blooms are a brilliant red and it has given me no problems with black spot or anything else. My Don Juan is on Fortuniana rootstock which I understand is a very good rootstock for successful Roses in Florida.

On May 29, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I find this rose more prone to blackspot than almost any other that I grow....but when in bloom....and when he hangs on to his leaves....he is a pretty sight!

On May 1, 2006, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A profuse, reliable climber, one of the first roses to bud. Deepest red imagainable.

On Mar 15, 2006, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Don Juan handles some shade a bit better than others. I gave one to my SIL and it took off like a rocket, a red rocket.

On Nov 9, 2005, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

This is known as the must-have rose for my area. When I decided to start growing roses, this is the one that EVERYBODY recommended first. Its climbing manner and large flowers put on quite a show--it looks like it's trying to show off and be fancier than my other roses. It requires little attention other than dead-heading. Though it can get spells of blackspot (nearly all roses do, in our humid climate), that doesn't seem to slow it down.

On Jun 1, 2005, hpoplin from Wellston, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

My favorite rose, never seems to stop growing. Don't have any problems with thorns on the stems, make beautiful cut flowers usually with sem-long stems. The smell is great, although not strong.

Only issue, the grasshoppers and aphids seem to love the flowers more than I do. Have to use insecticide to keep them away, and as much as it grows, it seems to be a constant job keeping the insects off the buds.

On Jan 6, 2005, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I like this Rose it is a good climber and easy to take care of.

On Sep 26, 2004, okus from (Zone 8b) wrote:

It seems to grow fairly slowly, but the flowers are gorgeous.

On Sep 20, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Vigorous grower, displays the most brilliant deep velvety red fragrant flowers. I can always count on a bloom for a bouquet. Introduced in 1958, disease resistant.

On Apr 18, 2004, yayaqueen from Harker Heights, TX wrote:

Don Juan was the very first rose (the patriarch) planted in my garden...3 years now he's been living happily couched in the corner of the backyard in full sun. We're in zone 8 in central TX. Mine is a climber and the only pruning I've done is to remove dead limbs. I do not prune my climbers and my research shows that you shouldn't except to keep them in bounds and remove dead tissue. Don Juan has exploded in huge, 5-inch, deep red flowers--the most fragrant in my garden. I have 86 roses now...adopted in the past 3 years since the bug bit me! If they don't have fragrance, I don't want them. Don Juan more than earns his place in my garden...I have a total of 5 now...all climbers. I would not have a garden without him. Everyone needs at least one.

On Apr 16, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I got this rose from a local nursery last year. It has grown extremely vigorously, putting out big long canes, and lots of blooms.

Its parentage is: New Dawn seedling X New Yorker

On May 30, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Our Don Juan climbing rose is red, very fragrant and quite beautiful. This is its second year growing in full sun on a wire fence in Summerville, SC (USDA Hardiness Zone 8).

On May 28, 2003, Eirlys from Hamilton, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had great success with growing a climbing rose named Don Juan, in Hamilton, Ontario. However, the only rose of this name that I have ever seen or read about is a beautiful red colour. This rose had a lovely scent and grew prolifically its first year. I had it growing against a wire fence in a southeast-facing garden. For the following two years, it again grew well, doubling its reach. Vesey's catalogue describes it: "Stronly fragrant, this velvety dark red, double cupped rose (35 petals), is high centred to flat with 4 inch blooms. Growing up to a height of 12 feet, the repeat bloomer features dark, glossy, leathery foliage."