Bloody Cranesbill, Hardy Geranium 'Max Frei'

Geranium sanguineum

Family: Geraniaceae (jer-ay-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geranium (jer-AY-nee-um) (Info)
Species: sanguineum (san-GWIN-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Max Frei
» View all varieties of Hardy Geraniums

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

This plant is resistant to deer

Des Plaines, Illinois

Lake In The Hills, Illinois

Gardiner, Maine

Royal Oak, Michigan

Hopkins, Minnesota (2 reports)

North Platte, Nebraska

Orchards, Washington

New Lisbon, Wisconsin

Watertown, Wisconsin

On Jun 29, 2015, KariGrows from New Lisbon, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I love this plant, it is always compact and stays where I plant it.... unlike some of my other geraniums in the woods. Some of mine are so lanky and floppy, but this little gem makes a neat mound. I have two in the woodland garden, one in full shade , one in part shade and one in another bed near my garage that gets half day sun...all bloom and look great. They are each about 18 inches in diameter.

On Apr 23, 2014, Rosiespring from Custer, SD wrote:

Altitude here is just over one mile, rocky but somewhat improved soil, sometimes down to -28 degrees. Max Frei was planted near the Apothecary rose in full sun in 2000. It has spread to at least 3 feet wide, has volunteered in a few spots up to 10 feet away - and blooms beautifully. If I do some shearing or dead heading, it throws out some more blossoms. Turns pretty red and yellow mixed in with the green foliage as weather cools. Max does flop over later in season, so I surround it in spring with a "tube" of chicken wire - it helps. This is a good, strong blooming plant that I rely on.

On Nov 2, 2009, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Wonderful plant for the front of the border. Blooms all summer and fall. Looks good next to woods purple aster. Both bloomed even after frost.

On Jun 3, 2009, tabasco from Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've have G. 'Max Frei' in my sunny border planted along the driveway edge where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I started with one plant four years ago and two years later divided it into four and now have a thriving little colony of them. I wish I had more, too

I'm surprised there are not more positive comments about 'Max Frei' on Plant Files since it's one of the nicest, easiest to grow, compact hardy geraniums in our Zone 6a garden.

I highly recommend it for a neat little edger or rock garden plant with pretty bright flowers in May and June.

On May 26, 2003, diasue53 from Dayton, OH wrote:

These plants edge my perennial garden. I love them, and wish I could track down more. I'm in Zone 5 and they've been thriving for 5 years now in a sun/part shade environment. Soil goes from moist in the spring to dry-dry-dry in the summer.