Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower, Pink Fringe Flower 'Blush'

Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum

Family: Hamamelidaceae
Genus: Loropetalum (lor-oh-PET-al-um) (Info)
Species: chinense var. rubrum
Cultivar: Blush
Additional cultivar information:(aka Monraz, Razzleberri, Raspberry Fringe)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By simple layering

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

Waxhaw, North Carolina

Maryville, Tennessee

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Blanket, Texas

Barboursville, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

On Mar 1, 2012, sonomaheaven from Sebastopol, CA wrote:

This plant is just a stunner in the spring. They also bloom sporadically throughout the summer and fall. They will bloom in partial shade, but are happiest in a sunny location. I have two in the ground where they have spread out quite nicely. The other is splendid in an urn. My neighbor has several and they are quite tall and bushy. There have never been any pests on these ( note: gophers love them so plant in wire). They survive quite happily on low to average watering. And, best yet, they survive below freezing temps here in the North Bay. What a great plant to add to your garden.

On Feb 5, 2009, hoitider from Emerald Isle, NC wrote:

if I could only have one shrub it would be this plant I have it in red and pink blooms twice a year and is ever green it rates up there with encore azaleas and endless summer

On Jun 5, 2006, wooconley from Oak Hill, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have of these - one on either side of my front door. We bought the house with them here. I think they were planted about 4 years ago. I'm new to southern gardening and had never seen them before.

I pruned them back becasue they were growing out over the sidewalk. They not very big but they both have had flowers - very pretty - though now where near as many as you show in your pix.

The branches seem to get very long and the plants aren't very bushy. I don't know if this is because they are on the east side of the house and the morning sun barely has a chance to hit them before shade covers them. Also, I was pretty sick last year and they didn't get much water other than the usual Louisiana rain.

They're not flowering now or I'd take some pix.

On Jul 3, 2005, lafontaine from Houston, TX wrote:

I bought 10 of these plants to frame and screen my fence in my backyard as hedge plants because I love the foliage. The ones I have in my front yard are doing very very well; enough that I have to prune them. Unfortunately, the ones in the back are losing their leaves (curled up, dried then leaves fall): I don't know what is wrong. I live in Houston,TX and the summer heat is terrible, but the other plants are surviving. I water in the am and my husband water in the pm. I planted the ones in the backyard during the winter. I did spread some aluminum sulfate diluted around the drip line of each plant: I guess I killed my own hedges, huh?!