PlantFiles: Chinese Witch Hazel, Chinese Fringe Flower
Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Hines Purpleleaf'

Family: Hamamelidaceae
Genus: Loropetalum (lor-oh-PET-al-um) (Info)
Species: chinense var. rubrum
Cultivar: Hines Purpleleaf
Additional cultivar information: (aka Plum Delight, Pizzazz, Hines Burgundy)

Rose/Mauve

Dark/Black

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Thumbnail #1 of Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum by htop

Thumbnail #6 of Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum by palmbob

By bootandall
Thumbnail #7 of Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum by bootandall

Positive dilla_girl On Mar 16, 2011, dilla_girl from Unadilla, GA wrote:

My loropetalum is five years old, and it has more blooms each year, making it an early spring standout in our garden. I have chosen not to tame it into a a manicured hedge but have let it grow as it pleases, so it has beautiful, long, graceful, arching branches. Everyone who sees it raves about it each spring. It is very hardy in zone 8, taking heat, drought, and the occasional hard cold very well, and I have yet to find a pest that likes it! THIS IS THE PERFECT SHURB!

Neutral Mertsie On Jan 24, 2011, Mertsie from (Zone 6b) wrote:

I am in mountainous zone 6b and these guys are NOT evergreen. Their leaves seem to die off but hang onto the branch all winter. I thought mine was dead the first year and right as I was going to pull it out in the spring I realized it had little neon pink buds all over it. Beautiful flowers!

Negative kaydiehl On Apr 10, 2010, kaydiehl from Pasadena, CA wrote:

Yes, it's easy to grow. But the color of the flower is really hard to deal with. Electric fuchsia. Quite jarring. And if you have anything red in the vicinity, it's downright painful. Plus, the beautiful dark red leaves turn green in the heat of the summer here in southern California. Not my favorite.

Neutral macybee On Nov 25, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Propagate from cuttings in summer.

Positive kcinsavannah On Mar 29, 2007, kcinsavannah from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

We have a multi-trunk tree form Loropetalum, about 9ft tall. It gets no special care beyond trimming off the small branches that grow on the trunks close to the base occasionally. It's everygreen here in Savannah, Ga (8b) and flowers year round for us. Gets full sun until late afternoon.
Beautiful easy care plant!

Positive Suze_ On Apr 2, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

A fabulous shrub for the South, especially for those that don't care for the boxy look. Nice spring blooms. Slow growing the first year or two after planting, then it really takes off.

Positive vossner On Feb 4, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

great shrub, can provide dramatic color in the garden. I have some planted in full sun and some in part shade. Only difference to me is that the ones in full sun require more frequent trimming.

I grow these as shrubs, but also have one that has grown into a 6 ft tree. that one is planted in part shade. See pic.

I have lost a few which were planted in too wet an area.

Positive joshz8a On May 22, 2005, joshz8a from z8a, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Growing in a 20" container, this plant is a delight in all seasons. The foliage always has some deep burgundy-purple to dark lavender-red to rosy-pink cast, depending on whether it's new foliage or older, outer branches or inner. Here in zone 8a it keeps its foliage through winter, and often has a scattering of blooms when we have a few mild sunny days. Lovely in arrangements so it gets trimmed often, but does well for me in container, morning sun only and kept well watered. In full sun it seemed stressed and foliage color wasn't as vibrant, but that may be because it's in container. Healthy and no pest or insect damage. I really like this plant! joshz8a

Positive janders On Apr 4, 2005, janders from Rockwall, TX wrote:

The above says that this bush blooms in summer, but mine blooms in the spring. I bought it because I needed a bush to hide my air conditioning unit. It receieves very little attention from me, but it has bloomed beautifully every spring for three years. Very attractive even when not in bloom, and a nice alternative to green bushes.

Positive Paulwhwest On Apr 30, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This bush has beautiful flowers and foliage. My experience has been pretty good overall but it doesn't like much shade, and it needs lots of water.

Dothan, Alabama
Phenix City, Alabama
Heber Springs, Arkansas
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Berkeley, California
Merced, California (2 reports)
Pasadena, California