PlantFiles: Triumph Tulip
Tulipa 'Don Quichotte'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Don Quichotte
Additional cultivar information: (aka Don Quixote)

Division:
Division 3 - Triumph

Flowers are good for cutting

By dividing the bulb's scales

By poppysue

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #4 of Tulipa  by DaylilySLP

Positive eliasastro On Oct 29, 2010, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

A fantastic large pink tulip, very tall plant too.
I grow them on shady cool places of the garden, so they don' t need to be kept in the refrigerator before sowing.
I sow the bulbs in late October.

Positive nutsaboutnature On May 19, 2010, nutsaboutnature from Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is my first year with Don Quichotte so I can't comment as to whether they will come back like they did for another reviewer, but I certainly hope they do.

They are large & tall. The color is a very rich, deep pink & they stand out all the way across my large yard, just beautiful!

They bloomed after all my other tulips were finished and, in fact, are still going strong right now (May 19th). The bloom period has been long, also.

Contrary to recommendations for tulips, I planted most of them in a shady location (I have more shade in my yard than sun) & they aren't at all "spindly". In fact the only difference I'm seeing from the ones I had in full sun is that they bloomed a little later & are ever-so-slightly leaning towards the sun.

I have most of them in front of my neighbors dark wood fence & their colors really "pop".

I'll probably wait a year to see if they return. If they don't, I'll most likely buy more.

Positive crabbybill On Mar 13, 2007, crabbybill from South Bend, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

Here in Zone 5a, I was surprised that this tulip returned each season for a decade. I rarely get Triumph tulips to perennialize. It was one of the last to bloom in our garden.

Algonquin, Illinois