Snap Bean (String, Green or French) 'Marvel of Venice'

Phaseolus vulgaris

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Marvel of Venice
Additional cultivar information:(Meravigla di Venezia)

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:

61 to 70 days

71 to 80 days

Newington, Connecticut

Camanche, Iowa

On Aug 14, 2012, jserena from Woodfin, NC wrote:

Growing this variety in Asheville, NC, for the first time in 2012. Seeds from garden-diva on eBay, a fast and reliable seller. Direct-seeded on 6-foot tipis, good germination. Very vigorous with many side-vines, much too crowded with 3 vines per pole. Nonetheless, a good producer of stringless, tender, beans. In my opinion, the best-tasting pole bean I have grown. Highly recommended.

On Dec 15, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This pole bean has straight flat, very flesh pods of a bright yellow color. Beans should be planted directly outdoors once all danger of frost has passed and the soil is warm. Plant seed 5cm (2in) deep and 20cm (8in) apart.

On Sep 3, 2006, cowtrailrd from Shawnee, OK wrote:

these beans came up well and strarted blooming just befor the heat hit. They failed to set on and the plants died back.

On May 29, 2003, ashkebird from San Diego, CA wrote:

This is my first time growing Marvel of Venice, but I just collected my first double handful of lovely light yellow, (just a hint of green,) pods and they are deliciously sweet and tender! This yellow romano type bean has been growing vigorously (is over 6 ft now, but growing on strings,) and this harvest came 71 days after direct sowing in the ground. So far this season, I'm giving it an enthusiastic thumbs up (although I am also enjoying "Musica" a delicious, vigorous green romano.) If you want a new color in your pole romanos, this is definitely worth trying! Both Musica and Marvel of Venice are so sweet and tender-crisp, they are great raw too (at 6-8" size.)