PlantFiles: Nepal Cinquefoil, Potentilla
Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Potentilla (poh-ten-TILL-uh) (Info)
Species: nepalensis (nap-ahl-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Miss Willmott

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By hczone6

Thumbnail #6 of Potentilla nepalensis by Gabrielle

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #7 of Potentilla nepalensis by kniphofia

Positive looneybug On Aug 23, 2012, looneybug from Willis, TX wrote:

This charming plant has brought lovely green foliage and summer long pops of color to our summer place in Westcliffe, CO where it has endured weather extremes and survived assaults by deer, rabbits and chipmunks. We have a drip irrigation system installed to water when we are not there and the soil is somewhat improved, but these are tough conditions, indeed, for a plant!

Positive plantaholic186 On Sep 17, 2011, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

Wonderful plant!
Easy to grow from seed, and happy in wet and dry soil.
By the end of July here (Chicago area), the leaves start scorching and looking crappy, so I cut down to the emerging leaves underneath, and within a week it has grown into a mound of fresh, green leaves, with a second flush of flowers.

Positive ms_greenjeans On May 24, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I love this plant. I grow it through a grid support in one spot and let it wander in another. Very trouble free and low maintenance. I'd call the bloom color more coral and dark red. It blooms for a couple of months, and I trim and deadhead periodically. When it finally quits blooming, I cut it back to a small shrub. I've divided mine 2-3 times now and it seems to thrive everywhere - except one friend's yard where the deer made a meal of it.

Positive Simon321 On Feb 19, 2009, Simon321 from Bethlehem, PA wrote:

I planted this flower at the front and center of my bed and it was a nice addition. It blooms brightly all summer long and its long stems creep through and up the coneflowers and black-eyed susans, popping up in unexpected places! At the end of the summer, I just trimmed back the wandering stems and it is back to a neat clump in front. It gets about five hours of sun each day, from 1:00 PM onward.

Negative Gabrielle On Jan 27, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

More foliage than flower, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it flops terribly. Maybe in another location it would be better.

Positive flowercrazy39 On Aug 9, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

I love this plant. Although it got bigger this year than anticipated and I had to move it because it's outward branching habit was taking over my other flowers. But I definitely recommend this flower. Easy to take care of, no special care. I wouldn't put it in full sun though, scorches the leaves.

Neutral debi_z On Mar 12, 2004, debi_z from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

a semi-evergreen clump forming perennial that creeps to form a ground cover. 12" high the carmine rose flowers have a dark eye and bloom from april to september. a native of nepal and himalaya it has dark green strawberry like leaves.

Bear Creek, Alaska