Hybrid suffruticosa, Japanese Tree Peony
Paeonia suffruticosa 'Shima Nishiki'

Family: Paeoniaceae
Genus: Paeonia (pay-OHN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: suffruticosa (suf-roo-tee-KO-sa) (Info)
Cultivar: Shima Nishiki
Additional cultivar information:(aka Dao jin, Fire-Flame, Shimanishiki)
Hybridized by Unknown

Stamford, Connecticut

Peachtree City, Georgia

South Amana, Iowa

Fallston, Maryland

Detroit, Michigan (2 reports)

Rochester, New York

Hillsboro, Oregon

Narvon, Pennsylvania

State College, Pennsylvania

On Apr 6, 2013, cathy166 from Stamford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

This tree peony grows reliably each year, and it is possible to tell the number of buds early in the spring growth. There is no question in my mind that this is a graft. Blooms are large in all cases with the red being slightly smaller. They are pink, red or mixed as you would expect on this variety. How many pink and red mixed and the type of patterning is unpredictable but always a treat.

On Sep 6, 2012, trailingon from dobie, ON (Zone 3a) wrote:

I have had this in my zone 2b garden for 3 years now and it gets better every year. I do not mulch or anything for winter. One of my favorite peonies.

On Oct 3, 2011, midwestfarmwife from Jamestown, OH wrote:

Purchased a 2-3 yr. Shima Nishiki which had 2 lovely blooms the following May in zone 6. It is planted on the west side of the house that gets some afternoon shade. Be sure to plant the graft at least 3.5" below the soil. Tree peonies dislike being waterlogged, so plant where drainage is good.

On Oct 24, 2010, krakatowa from kamloops, british columbia

I have only just now planted this variety of tree peony (late October). I am in Growing Zone 4 (Kamloops, B. C., Canada) and was told to expect a single bloom in the Spring. I am wondering about the recommended way of overwintering. I intend to mulch with leaves from my red maple, surrounded by burlap.

On Jun 4, 2009, rjcasey87 from Detroit, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant blooms a bit earlier than my other 3 tree peonies, and after 13 years, it is a good deal taller than the other 2 planted at the same time. It has also developed one "sport" branch of beautiful solid magenta blossoms that I may try air-layering to grow as a separate plant.

On Apr 22, 2009, mhubbard from Portland, OR wrote:

One of my favorite flowers. This is the 3rd year in the garden and each year I get more and more flowers. Expecting about 20 this year. Plant is growing well in full sun.

On Apr 7, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is an easy, maintenance-free plant. It'll take a beating and still look great!

On Jul 30, 2006, BobGelhard from Onancock, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Absolutely beautiful plant. Mine is 3 years old and has 15 or more blooms each year. I plan to collect seed this year (Aug. 2006) and try propagation. I am disturbed by the size of the seeds -very small- however we shall see.

Bob Gelhard

On May 14, 2006, linjasar from Upper Saint Clair, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Beautiful plant. No maintenance at all. Growing and blooming in the shade with some afternoon sun. Produced 1 bud last year, the first full year after I bought it, and it produced 9 this year.

On Apr 1, 2006, marabell from Narvon, PA wrote:

this plant is absolutely beautiful and is one of the first plants to bloom in the spring. It is also extremely low maintenance.

On May 31, 2003, crestedchik from Cicero, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Has gotten larger and had more blooms each year,low maintenance