PlantFiles: Brown's Honeysuckle, Scarlet Trumpet Honeysuckle
Lonicera x brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet'

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lonicera (luh-NIS-er-a) (Info)
Species: x brownii (BROW-nee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Dropmore Scarlet

Thumbnail #6 of Lonicera x brownii by Todd_Boland

By sanannie
Thumbnail #7 of Lonicera x brownii by sanannie

Positive coriaceous On Jul 14, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A great plant, though misleadingly named: the flowers are orange rather than scarlet. Hardy, floriferous, long-blooming, vigorous but not invasive. No fragrance.

Blooms best in full sun. Though it tolerates partial shade, this plant is more susceptible to powdery mildew there than in full sun.

Make sure it climbs something inanimate---this twiner can strangle or disfigure shrubs and small trees if it wraps itself about their stems.

This is a hybrid between two native honeysuckle species, L. sempervirens and L. hirsuta, bred by Frank L. Skinner at the Dropmore (Manitoba) experimental station and introduced in the 1950's.

Positive baritone On Jul 14, 2014, baritone wrote:

Hello
New member from Ontario Canada sort of 4 - 5 zone but we are in a valley which seems to give us some protection. We have had this Honeysuckle for 2 years and it is doing great, It is on a "Grande Allee" made from 6" dia cedar posts (each post has a different climber) so it is away from the house and somewhat exposed. We had a Horrendous winter and it came through with flying colours.
dave

Positive meggiemuggins On Jun 14, 2012, meggiemuggins from Upper Musquodoboit

I live in Nova Scotia ,Cananda and have found this plant on my land so i brought it to work to find out what it was as i work for dept of natural resources.. Its ngrowing along a woods road. Can i dig it up and replant it near my front step?

Positive weedsfree On Oct 7, 2010, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I thought I would have to cut mine back to encourage new growth, but now that it is cooling off, new growth is appearing on old branches. Without damage to the new leaves and things even. Can't wait to see how far it will go before going into complete hibernation. Mine is in full sun.
Update: I would claim that this vine for me is semi-evergreen. With temps in the low single digits this winter, most of the leaves that were on it when I bought it, are still hanging on.
Aphids seem to enjoy this plant as well.
Moved to half shade in mid 2012 and has grown 8'. This vine doesn't cease to amaze me.

Neutral GwenJ On May 6, 2010, GwenJ from Chico, CA wrote:

My nursery just sold me 2 Dropmore Scarlet Trumpet Honeysuckels to vine on my new garden arch. They said it was evergreen but now I see online it is deciduous. Can you tell me if it really is deciduous? I live in Northern CA in a valley, zone 9, I think. I love it but definitely want an evergreen and don't know if I should proceed with planting them. HELP!

Positive Marlina On Jul 26, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Way bigger than 15 foot as this picture shows . Hummingbirds absolutely are drawn . Have never seen it be invasive. Old plant most likely 20 years here.

Positive figaro52 On May 18, 2007, figaro52 from Oak Lawn, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is such a reliable fast-growing plant. My only disappointment is that it has no fragrance!

Positive GoldenDomer On Dec 12, 2004, GoldenDomer from Northern, IN wrote:

Today is December 12 in zone 5b and my Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle still has three blooms on it with one of those just appearing.

Also, it is by far the favorite of my hummingbirds.

This morning (January 3) the beautiful color from my Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle was gone. The last bloom finally dropped off during the night.

Positive hummingbird3000 On Jun 18, 2004, hummingbird3000 from New Prague, MN wrote:

We live in SE Minnesota, zone 4, and bought 2 of these in 1 gallon pots 3 summers ago. They were about 1-1/2 feet tall when we brought them home. They are now about 6 feet tall, and we have them trained on trellises. They are bushy and BEAUTIFUL and the flowers are very plentiful. I had to trim a bunch off the bottoms of the bushes as they were starting to look straggly. I tried propagating with wood and soft cuttings, the soft seemed to work, the wood did not. The hummingbirds also love them! I recommend if you want a fast growing showy bush (that needs a trellis or something to vine around). Also takes pruning very well if you want to keep it small.

Positive suncatcheracres On Aug 29, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I would love to grow this beautiful honeysuckle here in Northcentral Florida, as I saw dramatic specimens of this plant growing in Atlanta, Georgia, but Southern Living Garden Book says it only does well down into the Lower South, which would be about zone 8a. I live in zone 8b, which is in the Coastal South. Southern Living also says it is a hybrid of L. sempervirens and L. hirsuta, and from the Northeastern USA. So I will have to console myself with the lovely Southern heirloom Lonicera simpervirens (what a lovely name!) also called coral honeysuckle here in Florida, which is a parent of 'Dropmore Scarlet,' but doesn't have the intense color of its child.

Castro Valley, California