PlantFiles: Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Belinda's Dream'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Belinda's Dream
Additional cultivar information: (aka Belinda's Rose)
Hybridized by Basye; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1988

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by shuggins

By TomH3787
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by TomH3787

Positive dsd2682 On Feb 20, 2013, dsd2682 from Hollywood, FL wrote:

By far the best rose for South Florida. This is my only spray free rose here in humid south FL. She is always in bloom. She does get thrips but a little bayers systemic takes care of that, and either way once the flowers open you cant see the damaged pedals on the outside so i don't use anything on her. If you're going to have one rose in Florida, its this one!
I have two!

Positive shopshops On Aug 14, 2012, shopshops from Joshua, TX wrote:

I LOVE THIS ROSE!!!!! Planted this rose in May 2010. I purchased my first one online from the Antique Rose Emporium. I am so happy that I read and listened to all of the reviews about this rose. Not only is it ever blooming. It is also fragrant.

Let me clear this up for the folks who can't smell a fragrance on this rose. In the early morning, the fragrance practically wafts off of it. However when the sun comes up and in the late evening it is not as fragrant. It took me a year of owning this rose before I figured this out.
The heat resistance is also brilliant! One of my roses is planted on the southern side of my house in baking hot North Texas and my rose hangs in there and pumps out the roses. I water them once a week from July to mid- September. However, I think I am babying them, because there have been weeks when I did not water this frequently and the blooms kept on coming.
Last spring it was dislodged by GOPHERS! The leaves turned brown and fell off. I thought she was dead. However, I pruned and after three weeks she leafed out and kept on growing. A great rose for Texas! But you must love pink! Be patient. When you do get some fragrance from this beauty it will be well worth it.

Positive careyana On Apr 6, 2011, careyana from (Carey) Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Picked up at a local nursery from the 'mercy' shelf after bitter cold with no leaves. What a bargain! The beautiful foliage filled in quickly and buds started to form almost immediately... and what a beautiful bloom and heavenly scent as well! I cannot recommend this rose enough as it has been very low maintenance (save for the thrips which do love this one). I will be taking cuttings to put this one around the entire yard.

Positive acct54 On Jul 22, 2010, acct54 from Bedford, TX wrote:

I have six Belinda's Dream rose bushes. I find they all bloom at the same time with a lot of blooms. Then for a period of a couple of weeks, there are no blooms at all. Is this typical?

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jul 20, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I'm in zone 4a and planted Belinda's Dream in early June. I have had success with a Flower Carpet rose that was rated for zone 5, so I figured I would give this a try. So far it is growing and blooming nicely. I like the fact that it has the shrub rose qualities of disease resistance, but it looks and smells like a "real" rose. We'll see how it fares in a Minnesota winter. If it survives, I will call this a real winner.

Positive DianeMEM On May 23, 2010, DianeMEM from Glenshaw, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

The first blooms this year were 6" across! Love this rose.

Positive dontruman On Apr 25, 2010, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Fairly indestructible. I've ignored it for years and it stills grows seven feet tall. Slowly spreads at ground level. After ten years the canes coming out of the ground are 12 inches across. If not fertilized or pH balanced the blooms become lavender in alkaline soil. Designated a Texas A&M Earth-Kind Rose because it can pretty much live on its own without help once established. Google "earth-kind" for a list of low to no maintenance roses. The scent, or lack thereof, is affected by location (morning sun , afternoon sun, all day sun) and soil pH. My plant receives only four hours of direct sunlight (after 3:00 pm) against a tan colored brick wall and has only a little scent. If you have the black "St. Charles" clay soil ask your local nursery for soil acidifiers; that may help.

Negative mbgarden1 On Apr 13, 2010, mbgarden1 from Sugar Land, TX wrote:

I live in Sugar Land, Tx and ordered this rose from a nursery in Tyler, Texas, and planted it this spring. Today the first bud opened and there is absolutely no fragrance! What has happened? I have smelled this rose before in a friend's gardens, and don't understand why mine has nothing. Someone please advise!

Positive carle On Oct 10, 2008, carle from Katy, TX wrote:

I have four Belinda's dream roses. The only time this rose got blackspot or had a problem with yellow leaves was when I used Miracle Grow to fertilize it. This rose does fine with organic methods like mulch, compost and well composted manure, or a time-release rose food. The stems are always strong and I have dozens of buds and flowers on each bush at a time. In the hot Texas summer I only watered it once a week, and it still bloomed like crazy. I had tons of roses to cut and bring inside. It is a very beautiful and fragrant rose. This is the best rose of all time.

Neutral kdaustin On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Not nearly as disease resistant as touted, out of my 300 plus varieties of roses this one is in the top for spraying for blackspot when we are having overcast weather. Also the foliage tends to yellow unnatractively unless I fertilize regularly, HOWEVER, it blooms nearly 10 months out of the year in my central texas garden. Too bad it gets thrips so bad...
A lot of people probably won't notice/care about the foliage discoloration and thrips because it just keeps pumping out those oversized, super fragrant pink roses. I would probably love it if it wasn't touted so much as desease resistant! I hate to spray!
Oh, and the stems can be weak for the bloom size so the flowers tend to flop over after rain..I think it looks romantic. I hid my ugly foliage by planting "Cramoise Superior" and "Cherry Chief" Salvia greggi in front of the Belindas, that way I don't see the foliage so much, but still enjoy the flowers plus it looks great together.

Positive SweetBowl On Nov 5, 2007, SweetBowl from Arlington, TX wrote:

Incredibly healthy and fast growing here in North Texas. I don't spray and it still get huge full blooms all season. It has grown very tall, hit 6' in its first year. The second year after prunning it got to 7'.

Positive vossner On Apr 2, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

a low-maint., blooming machine. I guess if somebody ever told me I could only have ONE rose (horrors!), Belinda's Dream would be it

Neutral Ducky777 On Nov 16, 2006, Ducky777 from Arlington, TX wrote:

I have found the issue of scent to be especially interesting with this rose. Some people say 'Very Fragrant' and others say 'Faint.' I fall under the 'faint' category with mine. It is by far the hardiest rose I have, but to me the scent is almost non existent. I think a study of this rose and people's ability to smell a scent could be interesting.

Positive CathieR On Apr 28, 2006, CathieR from Burleson, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this rose several years ago and have been overwhelmed by its success. Due to illness this winter I did not prune it, nor did I water it regularly during our year long drought. It began blooming in March, at a height of over 6' and width of 5'. There were literally hundreds of blooms on it. We are now moving to a new house and I am searching high and low for another Belinda's Dream for our new home.

I was surprised by a comment above that said this rose had very little scent. My Belinda's Dream roses have always been very strongly scented, beautiful all the way through.

Positive aprilwillis On Feb 20, 2006, aprilwillis from Missouri City, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful rose, easy, minimal care. Best flowers in Houston area are in Fall & Spring; during hottest part of the summer flowers are not as long lasting. I can't think of a rose that is as easy to care for, forgiving and breathtakingly beautiful!

Positive Elphaba On Nov 10, 2005, Elphaba from Rockport, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had mine for three years now and it's absolutely gorgeous all the time. Blooms are huge even in sweltering summers. My experience is that the roses are on very strong stems and don't droop at all. The plant has a great shape too. My only complaint is that the flowers have almost no fragrance. I've stuck my nose in this rose many times in many different gardens and to my nose, this variety has almost no scent at all. The fragrance is so faint that you have to wonder if you're just imagining it. Buy it because it has huge flowers and because it is incredibly hardy and almost completely disease resistant, but you may be disappointed if you buy it for its fragrance.

Positive Larabee On Nov 9, 2005, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

Witht its high petal count, wonderful scent, and very abundant blooms, Belinda's Dream is perfect for cut flowers. This rose almost always ends up in any bouquet I'm putting together.

Positive Kauai17 On Oct 27, 2005, Kauai17 from Leander, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is the first rose that I have ever tried growing. I just love it. The petals are a beautiful pink color and it is extremely fragrant. Mine always has buds and blooms on it!!!!!

Positive Gindee77 On Jul 9, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

What a wonderful little rose. I love the color, the fragrance is marvelous and it just keeps pumping out blooms, even in the extreme heat and drougth conditions we've been experiencing.

Positive twiggybuds On May 17, 2005, twiggybuds from Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

This has it all if you like pink. If you think you can't grow roses, you are mistaken. This one can even manage without your help if it gets enough water initially. Beautifull! I'm rooting some for trading.

Positive Retired99 On May 17, 2005, Retired99 from Sebastian, FL wrote:

This rose does beautifully in our humid weather and has weathered two hurricanes in 2004. It blooms year round and the scent is great.

Positive tremax On May 15, 2005, tremax from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant has been easy to grow and here in Delray Beach, Fl. (10A) it blooms the year round. Moderate watering and fertilizing has made it a real delight. Great fragrance.

Positive wubba On May 14, 2005, wubba from Lake Orion, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought this rose at the end of summer 2004 from a local nursery for a very good price. I had never tried growing roses before so I figured that the budget price tag would be okay if I was unable to make it grow. After planting, it continued to bloom the most precious pink flowers! When spring came around, there was not any new growth to speak of and I was going to replace it thinking that I had planted it too late and too close to fall for it to have established itself. I pruned it hard when some small amounts of growth appeared. One month later, it is full and flourishing! I didn't kill it! It has not bloomed yet, but I have no doubt that it will be just fine.

Positive TomH3787 On Apr 29, 2005, TomH3787 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Great flower form and fragrance, highly resistant to blackspot. A good no-spray rose for the South. Only downside is that the flowers can become floppy in the rain due to thin stems and high petal count.

Positive shuggins On Apr 19, 2005, shuggins from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is the first rose that I am growing. I put them in February 2005 and they are doing extremely well. I definitely recommend to people who are reluctant to try growing roses. Beautiful flowers and nice foliage.

Positive htop On Apr 27, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
This was the first rose to be designated a Texas Superstar (tm). It received this prestigous designation because it has performed extremely well in statewide testing. A Texas SuperStar (tm) must be hardy and able to withstand the hot dry summers which occur in most parts of the state. They have to be extremely disease and insect resistant and add beauty, but require minimal care as well as minimal reliance on chemical pest control. It also has received the EarthKind (tm) designation due to its ability to thrive with less water and less need for chemical use to combat diseases (highly resistant to black spot and other fungal diseases) and insects. It has performed outstandingly even in highly alkaline clay soils which seems like a miracle to me. I have not grown this rose myself, but I have spoken with several people who do and they highly recommend it.

Positive Petsitterbarb On Jun 5, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

If you love PINK roses, as I do, you'll LOVE this rose!!! I rescued several from a local hardware store a couple of years ago, and have never been sorry! I'd read about this rose, and the comments were very positive, so thought it was worth a try. This rose is SO free from disease here (and I don't spray at all!) (zone 6), it blooms profusely, and the blooms are simply wonderful! They hold well on the bush, and also last a LONG time after cutting. The form is lovely, and the scent is very sweet and strong. In my opinion, this is a MUST HAVE rose for anyone favoring pink!

Dutton, Alabama
North Augusta, South Carolina
Knoxville, Tennessee
Anderson, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (4 reports)
Bedford, Texas
Boerne, Texas
Burleson, Texas
Colleyville, Texas
Dallas, Texas (2 reports)
Deer Park, Texas
Paris, Texas
Rockport, Texas
Round Rock, Texas
Rowlett, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Sanger, Texas