Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Kiss Me Quick
Brunfelsia latifolia

Genus: Brunfelsia (brun-FELZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: latifolia (lat-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Blue-Violet

Violet/Lavender

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Prattville, Alabama

Big Pine Key, Florida

Brooksville, Florida

Dade City, Florida

Delray Beach, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Pierce, Florida

Green Cove Springs, Florida

Hernando, Florida

Inverness, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Key West, Florida

Winter Garden, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

Ainaloa, Hawaii

Makawao, Hawaii

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Belle Chasse, Louisiana

Seabrook, Texas

Silsbee, Texas

negative

On Apr 21, 2012, Mirabby2 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

As a fairly new gardener I make many "discoveries". I see a plant I like and purchase or root it before I know everything I should know. This was the case with my Brunfelsia pauciflora. I bought it last year and planted it outside of the front porch. I didn't realize they were very prone to damage with freezes. I live in zone 8B and this past winter has been extremely mild with only 2 pretty heavy freezes. I didn't protect this plant because I didn't realize that I needed to. It survived both freezes well and is rewarding me this year with a bounty of blooms. Mine has no fragrance, but I planted a whirling butterfly plant directly in front of it. They make a stunning pair.

On Nov 2, 2009, startingover64 from Makawao, HI (Zone 10a) wrote:

Got this plant in February of this year and it started blooming in September...it is beautiful for those who love the color purple and lavender...the hot and humid weather here in Hawaii does not seem to bother it..just joined Dave's Garden today and am enjoying viewing all the comments and helpful hints on different plants and flowers from across the country..

On Sep 1, 2009, zin7272 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

It is now September, 2009.
My plant has flowered very well this year, it was a cutting from a friend.
Question:
There now appears to be a "hard ball" on the end of some branches. Are these the seeds?
How hard is this plant to grow from seeds?
Thank You.
You can email me directly at zin7272@gmail.com

On Aug 11, 2009, pam_seabrook_tx from Seabrook, TX wrote:

I "rescued" some plants from my neighbors house (with her blessing) she has sold it to an investor and they are clearing out the entire lot and starting from scratch...We went through Hurricane Ike here and lots of folks are doing the same thing...I figure if they survived being in three feet of sea water and almost a year of neglect they deserve a chance...I took cuttings from the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, I did not know they had a fragrance...and collected seeds...at least I think they are seeds...I am planting them in the front so the dogs won't be tempted...any tips on starting them?? The two trees she has in the yard are both 10 feet plus tall and covered in blooms....

On Apr 11, 2008, GPGruver14 from Hayward, CA wrote:

A WORD OF WARNING TO GARDENERS WHO ALSO HAVE DOGS.

I have never actually grown this plant, but the ASPCA has noted that it is toxic to dogs. To quote their recent article "According to a recently published study by Dr. Safdar Khan, veterinary toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), dogs seem to be particularly attracted to the seeds and berries of the Brunfelsia plant, also known as “morning, noon and night” and “yesterday, today and tomorrow.” In fact, canines are most susceptible to poisoning by this gardener’s favorite, aptly named for its fragrant flowers that bloom in vivid purple and gradually change to lavender before fading to white.

From 2001 to 2006, the APCC treated 38 cases of Brunfelsia poisoning involving 42 dogs. One Ca... read more

On Jun 29, 2007, Moofiepoo from Orlando, FL wrote:

I live in Orlando, Florida and I have this lovely plant...mine is 7 years old now and 14 feet tall. It blooms Dec...Jan...Feb....and makes a beautiful display. I planted it in compost when I planted it and it is mostly shaded during the day...gets about 2 hours of late afternoon sun a day. It needs watered a couple times a week and I put cow manure under it once a year. I have never tried to propagate it..but am thinking maybe I should try. The scent on mine is barely noticeable.

On Feb 8, 2006, marybmerry from Gilmer, TX wrote:

I only recently acquired this plant, it is about nine inches tall with three rather straggly limbs, but is blooming profusely in my greenhouse. I am concerned that there is no evidence of new leaf growth.

On Jul 31, 2005, ritaxx from Pompano Beach, FL wrote:

My neighbor has the Yesterday Today and Tomorrow plant and I just had to have it. So I reproduced it with two sticks, and it is beautiful.

Ritra from Coral Springs, Florida

On May 7, 2005, peachette from Tyrone, GA wrote:

Recently purchased this plant in Ocean Springs, Mississippi and will plant it by my front entranceway where I can protect it during winter months. The fragrance is wonderful and I know I will enjoy it hopefully for many years. Should not have any problem with the cold, I read somewhere recently where someone here in middle Georgia did very well with this beautiful plant in their yard.

Will keep you posted.

On Mar 26, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Mine is about 6 years old. It only blooms from early December through early March. It's about 8' tall and 6-7 feet in width. It's in partial shade of my neighbor's egg fruit tree. It's also front of a concrete wall and beside my concrete block dirt pit, so it's not bothered by concrete. Great plant! I love it when it's blooming, but as an evergreen it's very attractive too. Bugs don't seem to bother it. I have not experienced any self propagation by the plant.
Art

On Feb 19, 2004, Retired99 from Sebastian, FL wrote:

We planted this bush here in Sebastian, Florida in early spring and it has bloomed continuously since. It has reached a height of almost 5 feet in just a few months. The heat and humidity do not seem to affect this plant one bit.

On Jan 31, 2004, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

My Aunt grew this evergreen shrub in her flower beds in Mobile, Alabama, where I was a frequent visitor as a child. The common name of Yesterday-Today-and Tomorrow comes from the quick change in the flower colors from purple to lavender to white. I've read that in partial shade the plant can reach 10 feet, but can be kept pruned to about 3 feet quite easily. My Aunt's plants were rather tall.

They like a lot of moisture and regular fertilizer, and are a good plant for containers or in greenhouses in more northern climates. There are quite a few named varieties, some of which are dwarfed. In the ground it likes to spread, and will stay evergreen in the Deep South for most of the year, or only lose its leaves for a very short time.

On Jan 30, 2004, ytt wrote:

My grandfather bought several of the plants at a nursery in Plant City, FL in the early 1950s. This plant is growing in family gardens in both Waycross, GA, Jacksonville, FL and Albany, GA. It sends out underground runners which form new plants that can be transplanted and is easy to care for.