PlantFiles: Clematis
Clematis 'Multi Blue'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Multi Blue
Additional cultivar information: (aka Multiblue)

» View all varieties of Clematis

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:
Double

Bloom Diameter:
Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Thumbnail #6 of Clematis  by hansvaneijk

By mgarr
Thumbnail #7 of Clematis  by mgarr

Neutral hardwind On Jul 5, 2014, hardwind from Shawmut, MT wrote:

i planted this last spring, got it in the mail nice and healthy started growing good, then started wilting turn dark brown, thought it was dying dug it up great roots roots moved it little cooler spot, this spring it came up turned yellow growing really slow. I planted another 1 where it was last year was doing good now turning yellow has a bud but it doesn't look happy direct morning sun in shade from 2pm on, planted a ground cover sedum on top maybe not enough or maybe should have planted it deeper. Any ideas. I live 30 miles north of Big Timber Mt. 59078. I think zone 4. Thanks hardwind

Positive Samtpfote On Jun 8, 2011, Samtpfote from Gresham, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this plant at Michigan Bulb under the name Tidal Wave. Just found out that it is actually called Mulit Blue. It survived the winter in a flower pot. The flower are stunning. One of my favorite Clematis.

Neutral canadianplant On May 24, 2011, canadianplant from thunder bay
Canada (Zone 4b) wrote:

I purchased this, as a replacement for one that died ( which I also purchased a few weeks before). This was summer 2010. It is in a sunny warm corner, but was behind my weigelia, so the roots werent in full sun, just a warm spot.

It didnt grow to more then 2 feet, before the whole thing died back. I thought " well, i guess the corner is too warm, and I fried it". So this year, I decided not to plant any clematis along that wall.

Today, I take a look, and I notice this clematis is alive and more then well. Its taller then the other ones I have ( they all died back to a few inches from the ground.) So this year, im going to give it a heavy multch, and shade it with another plant.

It definetly suprised me to see this come back.

Positive annakins On Nov 3, 2009, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Great vine to have with Jackmanii. Covers the bottom half while Jackmanii climbs higher. Want to try serpentine layering with it next spring for more plants. Have not had double blooms, only singles for 3 years. Maybe next year :).

Positive MidnyteShadows On May 21, 2009, MidnyteShadows from Cleveland, TN wrote:

I planted mine two years ago and it keeps getting better. The blooms are bigger this year. Mine got some kind of fungus at the end of its first season, I removed all affected areas of the plant, added more bonemeal (they love that) to the soil and watered a little more. Perfect! Cured very fast, now no sign of infection on plant. One note: Think about placement. I put it in my front flower bed by my front door, so when it rains hard the water from the roof sometimes knocks the petals off of the older flowers.

Positive Dodsky On Oct 24, 2008, Dodsky from Smiths Grove, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I've had this clematis for several years and after the first year it has never failed to impress me with it's beautiful blooms and vigor. I've had to move it three times over the past eight years, most recently a few weeks ago, and I have no doubt it will bloom as it always does with a big flush of blooms in mid-spring, and then (usually) a small flush of blooms in late summer. The rich purple-blue blooms are large and very full looking. As others have mentioned, after the outer large petals of the double flowers fall off the inner, finer puff of petals remains for at least another week. The blooms gradually turn a lighter shade of silvery purple that is quite pretty. The first year the blooms were mostly singles with a few doubles, but since then it has bloomed nearly all doubles in the spring and a mix of doubles and singles in the late summer flush. After the blooms fade, the shiny, fluffy seed heads if allowed to remain are ornamental as well. It is a hardy and strong grower in my zone 6b garden.

Positive oeffltd On Jul 21, 2004, oeffltd from Fakenham Norfolk
United Kingdom wrote:

This plant grows well in Norfolk England in full sun
the flowers come in spring and July.
The flowers are stunning.

Positive kplinn52 On Jun 15, 2004, kplinn52 from Portland, OR wrote:

The blossoms on my MultiBlue were stunning this year. Even when the outside petals turn brown and fall off (with a little help from me) the inside puff of petals lasts several more weeks.

Positive mikamouse On Jun 9, 2003, mikamouse from Warren, MI wrote:

I found that placing rocks around the roots helps keep the roots cool while at the same time allowing the vine to have the sun it needs.

Elk Grove, California