Corkscrew Rush 'Unicorn'

Juncus effusus

Family: Juncaceae
Genus: Juncus (JUN-kus) (Info)
Species: effusus (eff-YOO-sus) (Info)
Cultivar: Unicorn

Concrete, Washington

Edmonds, Washington

La Conner, Washington

On Aug 16, 2013, httpmom from Livermore, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased three of these (I always buy plants in 3s or 5s) in 6 pots 3 years ago. They were all the rage 6-7 years ago, at The San Francisco Garden show. So beautiful and architecturally arresting in the garden. I planted two in direct sun as was recommended on the plant tag and one in bright shade. The full sun ones are long gone, but the bright shade plant is about 3x3 and looking as spectacular and ethereal as it gets. I live in CA Zone 9b. Hope I can find a few more. Just love the little thing.

On Nov 1, 2008, Oberon46 from (Mary) Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

I planted two of these in my pond in mesh baskets and sunk them to three inches over the soil line. They did fine all summer and for winter I sunk them into the water, one totally and one part way. I am not sure how they will do with our -20 weather. The ice is already (Nov 1) 5-8" thick. It will be March or April before I can see them or my fish again.

On Jun 6, 2008, sherpo1 from Maryville, TN wrote:

Helpful tip for those without wet growing conditions---
I've found a microclimate that provides great growing conditions needed by Corkscrew Rush: about 18" away from my air conditioning / heating unit! A pvc pipe directs the water from the ac unit to the plant keeping it moist and healthy all season without any additional watering.
An added bonus:
in the winter, the Rush continues to thrive (even spread) warmed by the heat given off from the gas exhaust of the unit!

On Feb 24, 2006, EAPierce from Idaho Falls, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

A good local garden center here in SE Idaho carries this and classifies it as both a perennial grass and an aquatic, which is accurate. While it thrives best in wet, marshy conditions and standing water, it also lives and grows perennially in cold climates with alkaline, heavy soil, and tolerates drought. I planted a gallon-sized specimen last year in a semi-shady location, and it did just fine and even spread at a nice, easy pace. I also noticed that it stayed green underneath the snowdrifts this winter. I'm sure it's a great aquatic plant, but those with rock gardens might want to consider it as a nice accent. It's a truly unique grass- verra verra pretty stuff.

On Jul 7, 2004, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Yet another plant you must have. It's very interesting with it's curly foliage. Ours is growing in our pond.

On Jun 10, 2003, sfanemone from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I am growing this in a container on my deck in light shade. It's doing well, despite being an aquatic. [I didn't know that when I got it.]

On Jun 10, 2003, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant adds visual interest to the pond with its contrasting texture and unique form.