Nishiki Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki'

Salix integra

Family: Salicaceae (sal-i-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salix (SAL-iks) (Info)
Species: integra (IN-teg-ruh) (Info)
Cultivar: Hakuro Nishiki
Additional cultivar information:(aka Albomaculata)

By simple layering

Anoka, Minnesota

Remer, Minnesota

Saint Paul, Minnesota

Bridgeton, Missouri

Omaha, Nebraska (2 reports)

Dayton, Nevada

Kingsport, Tennessee

New Johnsonville, Tennessee

Belton, Texas

Centerville, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah (2 reports)

Vergennes, Vermont

Porterfield, Wisconsin

Trevor, Wisconsin

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

On Aug 26, 2015, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought a 4' pot over a year ago after seeing a stunning display on a hill with dwarf conifers and lots of salvias. The roots developed very fast in its next-sized pot and I planted it as a reasonably sized shrub a month ago. It has light soil but the roots are contained between large underground boulders on all four sides, giving it a substantial underground pot. There is enough room for a sambucus--thanks for the suggestion! This bush is already commanding interest because of its straight branches as well as the variegated coloring.

On May 24, 2015, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

The Dappled Willow "Hakuro Nishiki" thrives in my Zone 7A yard. I got a marked-down 2-gallon pot of it in the garden department of a chain store. I let it grow untended for several years, and then decided that it was taking up too much space on the garden path. I cut away most of the branches and wound the remaining branches up an 8-foot 6 X 6 post and limbed them up so that the branches and leaves spread out at about four feet above the ground. I got the effect of a standard without having bought a grafted tree. It requires additional pruning each year, but it looks good!

On Aug 12, 2014, marionette from Greely,Ontario

We have two of these gorgeous shrubs in our back yard. They are planted at each end of our perennial beds.
They are magnificent!
I try to prune them once a year but they are soooo beautiful in their natural form that I hate doing it.
But I must otherwise they would be enormous!!!
I really would like to plant more and would recommend them for zone 4 and up.
They are at the back of the garden in a moist, well mulched, area.

On Jun 7, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A shrub grown for its dramatically variegated new foliage. Leaves emerge white with pink tones and gradually green up over the season.

To maximize the amount of variegation, most people stool their plants regularly, cutting them nearly to the ground in early spring before growth starts. This also controls size---without it, this plant can turn into a small semi-weeping tree.

For five years, I've had two plants in well-drained sandy soil (no irrigation) that get sun after 1 PM. I cut them back hard every spring. This keeps them to about 4' tall. One's had some occasional dieback, I suspect from Verticillium wilt, to which this species is prone. I've also sometimes seen some browning on the edges of the new leaves. But otherwise they've been just fine.
<... read more

On Jun 5, 2014, GiGiGmom from Malvern, PA wrote:

I bought a Dappled Willow last year after having to really search for it. Everywhere I checked they were sold out. My daughter has a beautiful fully grown Dappled Willow and I just fell in love with it's 'fine/delicate' looking pinkish-white & variegated green foliage. It is healthy and growing beautifully. My daughter says she wishes she hadn't planted it so close to her deck because of the size. But it is beautiful. We live a little NW of Philadelphia PA and get cold winters.

My Dappled Willow is STILL not planted in the ground, mainly because I could not decide where to plant it. I did plant it in a deck planter with good soil, it is in a very sunny spot and doing VERY well. I was afraid our past winter (very snowy and extra brutal) was going to kill it because of it ... read more

On May 28, 2014, JustDebby from Lacombe

I live in zone 3 in Lacombe in central Alberta (between Edmonton and Calgary) and would desperately love to plant a top grafted Hakuro-Nishiki dappled willow in my little yard. I've found lovely one but I'm concerned that it will not survive a winter here, as this past one was horribly cold and snowy. My yard tends to be damp as there isn't much slope so I don't think water will be an issue; just temperature. What are my chances?

On Jun 11, 2013, BoPo from Milwaukee, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Love, Love, Love this tree. I purchase the Willow on a standard (grafted) form. An absolute show stopper specimen, and I receive many a compliment from passersby.

I am in zone 5, Wisconsin and my soil is rich black and pretty compact, but somewhat clayish about 18 inches deep.

The trick with this tree, is PLANT IT IN THE SPRING and water, water, water. I planted my first one in the fall, and it did not survive the winter. I couldn't live without this beauty, so replaced it in the spring.

I have her planted on a southeast corner of my home in an area that I wouldn't exactly consider "moist". I do supplement water during droughts, but otherwise I'd say this can handle drier soils once it's established (as the literature indicates).
... read more

On Nov 2, 2012, carpinus from Bellingham, WA wrote:

My interest is woody plant taxonomy. I am not a gardener. I was looking at my sister's nishiki willow in NH and noticed that leaves and new growth twig are arranged oppositely more often, or at least as often, as alternately. Certainly more often than any other willow variety that I know of. I have never seen Salix integra, the species, so I'm not sure if it is a characteristic of the species or only of the cultivar. It was just a curious discovery that I've never seen in the literature but probably is somewhere.

On Oct 25, 2011, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Actually, this wasn't entirely the plant's fault: After planting, I neglected it a bit, the bindweed grew around it, and the snails finished it off.

So that was definitely a negative experience for me, not to mention the poor little willow.

On Jun 15, 2011, mugso1 from Anoka, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

We planted two of these last year - they seemed to be doing just fine all through the summer and fall. One didn't make it through our MN winter but the other came back and looked beautiful. We replaced the one that died - gave the new one lots of TLC and right now, it looks terrible. The leaves on the outer edges are turning brown and drying up. It can't be lack of water - we've watered AND had adequate rains.

The other shrubs, planted around them are doing very well, so I know it's not from lack of care. I'll be replacing both of them this year with something else. I think they're beautiful, when they're alive, but don't think they like it here.

On May 18, 2011, bstnh1 from Barrington, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a variation of your typical willow. It's a nice looking shrub, but it also has the disadvantages of most willows. It loves water and will grow into septic systems and drains and clog them completely if planted within 75 or 100 feet. It also grows extremely fast and large. It can be pruned very hard with no ill effects. It will also grow in damp areas in the shade, but the color won't be as attractive. Trimmings of almost any size can be rooted very easily by simply placing them in a bucket of water. Keep it away from septic systems or you'll be replacing your leach field - and that isn't cheap!!

On Aug 28, 2010, krisdarlin from Cleveland, NC wrote:

I've had 2 of these beauties. One I killed by leaving a Xmas tree light string wrapped around the trunk (mine is grafted) too long and it strangled the tree -- one morning I noticed a few brown leaves at the ends of the branches and by the end of the day 75% of the leaves were brown. Took the wire off, never revived. The second one just up and died last week -- no wires --it just started turning brown and almost overnight all the leaves are brown. It's about 7 years old, in central NC -- we've had plenty of rain (my lawn is lovely green; usually dried-out-brown by this time of summer) so I don't know what happened. I've seen no bugs, caterpillars, or any other signs of pests. But my tree looks very dead. Dang. I hate when that happens. Any ideas?

On Aug 3, 2010, 1annabelles from beaverton
United States wrote:

Great tree for a damp area of the garden. This is it's first year in my garden.

I do have a question has long...willow-like growth/branches...and looks kind of unsightly. Does it grow in a weeping form or should I prune it lightly (tips) or prune back to where the best leaves are.

Thanks a lot

On Jun 29, 2010, DianaF from Owens Cross Roads, AL wrote:

I would like to hear your experiecnes with keeping the Nishiki Willow in tree form. How successful have you been in doing this?

On May 28, 2010, SCGardener27 from Sioux City, IA wrote:

I've had my hakuro nishiki about 10 years, bought as a standard and keep it pruned in a globe-shape to about 12 ft. height, about 8 ft. diameter. I've got the perfect spot for it next to my rose garden with about a dozen different colored coral bells planted beneath the canopy - and they love it, too. Also have 3 smaller hakuro niskiki bushes planted under the canopy at the corners. With this right next to our screened in patio, I never get tired of the view.

On Sep 22, 2009, vadap from Aurora, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very hardy. Mine is about 5x5, and have 2 side by side. Full sun, all day. Very little water. My motto here in Colorado, you either make it with what water you get, or something else will. 4th yr in ground, and has put on abt 1/2 ft growth, probably because of unusually wet spring and summer. Wide open to harsh winter weather, including strong winds. Again, very hardy!

On Jul 18, 2009, Amsoniared from Toledo, OH wrote:

The plant IS definitely beautiful, however, as a few other people have mentioned, it gets VERY large, compared to the 4-5 ft high the original tag mentioned. Mine is now about 15 feet tall with a spread of at least 10 feet! I try to grow it as a standard or tree form, but it sprouts constantly from the trunk. Unfortunately, I believed the info and planted it in too small of a space. I have tried to start whips of it in other areas- they would start, but die before the next season, so I am afraid to move it. I would recommend this plant, if you have the room!

On Jun 25, 2009, sqaman from Oshawa

I grow this shrub in my zone #5 garden, in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. I have it in standard form and mine is gigantic. It's 12 to 13 foot high and probably 15 feet wide. The color is fantastic and it's definitely a focal point, see photos.

On May 26, 2009, purpleearwig from Centerville, UT wrote:

I live in Northern Utah and this plant is growing here. I bought it at a local nursery three years ago and kept it in the pot for a year before I planted it in the ground. I almost killed the tree because it was next to my house, and the sun reflecting off the house and me not keeping the soil wet just about dried it to just a stump. I moved it to the front of my yard away from the house and kept it watered and it survived. I planted it a year later and it is the most beautiful tree in my yard. It seems like a hardy tree to go through all that.
The trunk is about 5 feet tall put the limbs reach 8 to 9 feet high and about 8 feet wide until I prune it. It gets 9 to 10 hours of sunlight a day so the leaves do have a pink glow all summer. I was told by the nursery that the more ... read more

On May 26, 2009, Mori1 from Olathe, KS wrote:

I would disagree with the 6 ft, mine was at 7 ft before I pruned it back. I have two and boy do they love water. They are most eye catching shrubs in my backyard with the marble green, white and pink. Mine are growing in full sun and clay soil. I usually have to prune more after it has been raining. If you have room for one in your garden, get it, you won't be sorry.

On May 25, 2009, susierosey from Millstone, NJ wrote:

Took well to a very wet somewhat sunny spot in our woodland edged yard and help control erosion. Grows fast and big especially because the deer here have left it alone.

On Oct 9, 2006, rock_hill_thom from Rock Hill, SC wrote:

After moving to South Carolina from Colorado, my wife and I have searched high and low for a local garden center that sells this wonderful plant. Thank goodness for the Internet because it looks like I've found a place nearby to purchase some. And I do mean "some."

I'm no botanist but maybe somebody who knows better can confirm my hunch:

One of the posters said that she really liked this plant but wished she could get more of the pink color. When we lived in Colorado, our Nishikis were loaded with salmon colored leaves. Spectacular! The area we lived in had a high iron content in the soil. Could this have contributed to the coloring?

On Aug 24, 2006, jkramer from Saint Charles, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

A very nice specimen shrub. But my experience doesn't support the projected 4 to 6 ft. height. Mine reached about nine feet in height and eight feet wide. I was constantly pruning it (almost weekly). It was overgrowing everything around it and after three years I transplanted it to a wide-open area. It probably grew so large due to good soil and an abundance of water from a nearby downspout.

On Aug 5, 2006, dad721 from Kingsport, TN wrote:

i have had good experiences with these beloved plants. I currently have about a dozen. My neighbor is curious if they will bother water lines like willow trees, which love to tap into water sources. I am not sure if they do or not. I have not heard of any problems with that. The only down side, is that the past two summers have not been easy on the ones planted in full sun and they do not seem to be doing well. I live in north east tennesee.

On Jun 13, 2006, SummerSun06 from Townsend, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant. It grows VERY fast but can be kept as a well-behaved shrub. It needs to be pruned back to produce those gorgeous white/pink stems and leaves. It appears nearly totally white/pink! Mine are in partial shade-sun. Being willows, they love water but mine to well even in dry summer months with minimal watering. They look great next to the dark, almost black leaves of a black lace elderberry.

On May 30, 2006, lalalee16 from North Canton, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have only had this for about a year. Absolutely beautiful this spring. Shades of green, white and pink. It's about 3 ft. tall now, and I really like it that size, so I will prune to maintain this size. I also paired mine with russian sage.

On Dec 10, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice shrub. Give it room to grow or you will need to prune it. It does take to pruning well. Color is more vaiations of white and green and less pink.

On Sep 22, 2005, kenrnoto from Westminster, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

I live in Westminster Maryland and planted this plant in the Spring. The shrub I bought was very variegated - with wonderful shades of white, green and pink. I planted this shrub in my front planting beds where it gets Sunlight for about 8 hours a day. Mostly morning to early afternoon sun since it faces the East.

The first year all new growth was only green. I never could figure out why. I even cut it back, but all the new growth was again green - no white at all.

The second year - new growth started as green, but then it quickly changed to white, green and pink. It really turned into a beautiful shrub this, the second year. So much so that I want more of these. It has so much interest looking at it from a distance or close by. I only wish it had m... read more

On May 27, 2005, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is an attractive deciduous shrub, the leaves of which are subtle shades of green, white and pink with weeping branches that flow delicately in the wind. Cut branch tips look lovely in a bouquet of roses and generally have a couple of side shoots which can be used to prop up weak-stemmed roses.

On Jun 2, 2004, Bevergreen from Ferrysburg, MI wrote:

It goes very well with ornamental grasses,sedums,and russian sage.I keep it smaller with heavy pruning.One of my favourite shrubs!

On May 15, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Lovely well mannered Salix.
When young the branches are rather spikey,
but as it matures they develop a semi-weeping habit.

The new foliage is absolutely white developing a green variegation w/ age.
The new shoots are pink maturing to a deep reddish color.

We have two and wish we had room for more.

If you want a show stopping shrub look no further.