PlantFiles: Obedient Plant, False Dragonhead
Physostegia virginiana 'Vivid'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Physostegia (fy-so-STEEJ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: virginiana (vir-jin-ee-AN-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Vivid

Rose/Mauve

Late Fall/Early Winter

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #1 of Physostegia virginiana by DaylilySLP

By jankasony
Thumbnail #2 of Physostegia virginiana by jankasony

By gardeningfun
Thumbnail #3 of Physostegia virginiana by gardeningfun

Neutral coriaceous On May 21, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The flower color is a clear rich/saturated pink/purple, unlike the pastel colors that are more prevalent in this species. I suspect the cultivar name was chosen with this in mind.

Flowering begins much later than other cultivars, in September here (Boston Z6a). This is a highly aggressive plant in the garden, spreading by underground runners. I wouldn't plant this in a border except in a sunken plastic pot with the base cut out---and even there, this cultivar can self-sow.

Positive Windy On Oct 14, 2011, Windy from Belleville , IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

Even though this plant will spread by runners, I missed having it when I moved from my southern home. I bought three plants and look forward to their comeback next year. They are attractive to butterflies and hummers visit them often for a drink.
When I bought these they were pot bound and the roots each carried a sprout on the end. I unraveled them and laid a few outside the hole still attached to the parent and covered the runner with additional top soil to help the spread.

Positive equinecpa On Sep 10, 2010, equinecpa from Gainesville, TX wrote:

I traded for just a couple of plants 2 years ago -and now I have a bed full. It is invasive but I enjoy it -not much else will grow in this garden and it is THRIVING. It even survived this summers invasion of grasshoppers!

Positive gardeningfun On May 5, 2010, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

The white Obedient Plant seems to truly be obedient, unlike the purple version; which is prolific. I bought both a white and a purple pot and the purple has become a 2' by 3' border. The white one is only an inch or so fuller this year. It hasn't spread at all in the bed. The purple are spreading everywhere and I can tell I will be pulling some of those out very soon. They are beautiful together and are one of my favorites. Very easy to grow in my clay soil. We had very high winds and lots of snow this winter, too; and it hasn't hurt them at all. I only put them in last summer and I will already be giving some of the purple to friends. Love it.

Positive hart On Jul 28, 2007, hart from Shenandoah Valley, VA wrote:

Welcome blooms in late summer/early fall of a very pretty light fuschia purple. Very drought tolerant and if it gets too much shade, it will affect the amount of bloom.

Spreads vigorously by runners even in a dry spot so either plant where it is contained by edging or plant in a large pot or coffee can with the bottom cut out. Extra plants are very easily pulled back. Roots run about 4-5 inches deep at most so any barrier that deep will contain spreading.

This is a fun plant for children. It's called obedient plant because the blooms are hinged and if you push them to the side with your finger, they stay there.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 22, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Physostegia 'VIVID' -Obedient Plant - 2' Tall. Plant 14" apart. Spikes of lavender pink. A strong grower.

General Information:
Many spikes of flowers in mid summer. Each spike holds its many flower buds in rows which open sequentially from bottom to top. Drought resistant. Its common name arises from the ability of the individual flowers to hold any position you fancy to give them. Will take any space you give it, making a glorious show en masse. Good cut flower, Best selection for the coldest areas (zones 3 & 4), not for the Gulf states.

Positive angelap On May 29, 2004, angelap from Weatherford, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have a friend who lovingly refers to Physostegia as the "psycho plant". Of course, she lives much further north in a more temperate area than I do, and this plant is terribly invasive in her locale.

In my Texas garden, I have it planted on the north side of the house, under the eaves. It only gets LATE afternoon and evening sun, but still thrives. Yes, it is invasive, but I planted it with the idea that it would fill this narrow, somewhat dry, hot area, and it has. It stands up well to the runoff from the roof and it booms reliably from late summer through to first frost. I have it mixed with Mexican mint marigold and artemesia powis castle, and it makes a pretty show throughout the fall months.

Jones, Alabama