Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Pineapple Lily, Pineapple Flower

Eucomis comosa

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Eucomis (YOO-com-iss) (Info)
Species: comosa (kom-OH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Eucomis comosa var. comosa
Synonym:Eucomis punctata

Flowers are good for cutting

Pale Pink

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Puyallup, Washington

On Oct 27, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi,
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Eucomis 'Pine-Apple Flower' is a bulbous rooted plant from Africa. It thrives well in a sunny, dry spot, and is very easily grown. The flower spikes last a month or more on the plant and as a cut flower. In E. punctata pinkish forms also occur in the flowers. A very exotic looking flower to have in a vase.

On Aug 21, 2009, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

I love this plant. The pineapple flower heads get so heavy that they fall over, but I just cut them and put them in a tall vase with three of the blades and have a spectacular long-lasting arrangement for my hall table. Next year I may try putting out a single-stem plant support for each bloom stalk to grow through and see what happens. Either way is OK with me.

On Jul 29, 2004, fuquaygarden from Fuquay Varina, NC wrote:

Propagates readily from leaf section cuttings.

On Jul 4, 2004, PLANT_NUT from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I love this plant! My mother-in-law let me dig 8 or so out of her flowerbeds last fall (2003). She had them growing in the typical hard red clay soil found in NC. They were gorgeous and bloomed beautifully for her. So I transplanted them into my garden (same city, but heavily amended soil) and they have all bloomed. :^) At this point, each stalk is about 2 1/2 feet tall and covered in buds. The foilage is a deep red and green and the flower stalks are very smooth and burgundy in color also. I can't wait to see all the buds open!

On Oct 27, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This bulb from South Africa is a member of the Lily family.
It blooms mid-Summer to late fall.

It is hardy in Sunset Zones 4 & 5 (I have it growing outside here in Western Washington.) and has white or pink-purple bloom. The foliage is strap-like, erect leaves and the bloom comes up from the center, 2 to 3 feet tall covered with scented flowers. The top of the bloom spike has a topnot of small leaf bracts. Grows in sun or light shade, needs to be fed as it needs rich soil. Overall the plant in bloom resembles a Pineapple. Propagate by division or from seed.

On Oct 27, 2003, mungoj from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

This is a great plant for anyone's garden. Foliage is purple and very striking. Flowers are tall (3 feet) and the honeybees love them. I have six plants and I'm trying to find places for more!