Pineapple Flower, Pineapple Lily, Wine Eucomis
Eucomis comosa

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Eucomis (YOO-com-iss) (Info)
Species: comosa (kom-OH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Eucomis comosa var. comosa
Synonym:Eucomis punctata

Bulbs

Flowers are good for cutting

Pale Pink

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Puyallup, Washington

On Oct 27, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Eucomis 'Pine-Apple Flower' is a bulbous rooted plant from Africa. It thrives well in a sunny, dry spot, and is very easily grown. The flower spikes last a month or more on the plant and as a cut flower. In E. punctata pinkish forms also occur in the flowers. A very exotic looking flower to have in a vase.

On Aug 21, 2009, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

I love this plant. The pineapple flower heads get so heavy that they fall over, but I just cut them and put them in a tall vase with three of the blades and have a spectacular long-lasting arrangement for my hall table. Next year I may try putting out a single-stem plant support for each bloom stalk to grow through and see what happens. Either way is OK with me.

On Jul 29, 2004, fuquaygarden from Fuquay Varina, NC wrote:

Propagates readily from leaf section cuttings.

On Jul 4, 2004, PLANT_NUT from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I love this plant! My mother-in-law let me dig 8 or so out of her flowerbeds last fall (2003). She had them growing in the typical hard red clay soil found in NC. They were gorgeous and bloomed beautifully for her. So I transplanted them into my garden (same city, but heavily amended soil) and they have all bloomed. :^) At this point, each stalk is about 2 1/2 feet tall and covered in buds. The foilage is a deep red and green and the flower stalks are very smooth and burgundy in color also. I can't wait to see all the buds open!

On Oct 27, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This bulb from South Africa is a member of the Lily family.
It blooms mid-Summer to late fall.

It is hardy in Sunset Zones 4 & 5 (I have it growing outside here in Western Washington.) and has white or pink-purple bloom. The foliage is strap-like, erect leaves and the bloom comes up from the center, 2 to 3 feet tall covered with scented flowers. The top of the bloom spike has a topnot of small leaf bracts. Grows in sun or light shade, needs to be fed as it needs rich soil. Overall the plant in bloom resembles a Pineapple. Propagate by division or from seed.

On Oct 27, 2003, mungoj from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

This is a great plant for anyone's garden. Foliage is purple and very striking. Flowers are tall (3 feet) and the honeybees love them. I have six plants and I'm trying to find places for more!