Are you up for a fun new challenge? Join our 2015 Grow-Along Challenge: Squash Wars and let's see how many new varieties we can grow this year!

PlantFiles: Hardy White Gloxinia
Sinningia tubiflora

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sinningia (sigh-NIN-jee-uh) (Info)
Species: tubiflora (too-bih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By Bug_Girl

Thumbnail #6 of Sinningia tubiflora by Keyring

By Kell
Thumbnail #7 of Sinningia tubiflora by Kell

Positive poeciliopsis On Feb 7, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- Sinningia tubiflora is one tough plant. I received it in 2013 as a "bonus plant" in an internet order from Glasshouse Works. I put it into my succulent bed in a partial shade location, with once-a-month summer water and no winter protection. It grew desultorily and by spring 2014 I was convinced it had died and dug it up -- but it was just dormant. I replanted it and it remained dormant during the summer. Again I thought it had died, but in November 2014 it put out a few leaves and is now a small, but healthy plant.

Positive nathanieledison On Jan 24, 2015, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

If I ever write a book about my favorite plants in existence, this will surely be in it. I'm so smitten for these things I can't help but buy another every trip I make to Annie's!

Do you like Daphne odora? Do you wish there was such a plant with a similar fragrance that was less temperamental and say, perhaps a warm weather bloomer? Maybe even one that takes heavy soil and isn't bothered by water molds?

Well look no further! This plant has so many positive attributes I can't even describe. As long as you don't mind it propagating itself by runners all over your garden, and your soil doesn't freeze, you NEED one of these. Again thank you Annie's Annuals for supplying these wonderful plants!

- How to charm a gardener, step one: get them a Sinningia tubiflora. Check!

Positive yodecat On Jun 16, 2011, yodecat from Dallas, TX wrote:

Very free blooming. Prefers a half to full day of sun. Very fragrant. Needs well drained soil. The plant has few pests.

Positive AnalogDog On May 1, 2010, AnalogDog from Mountlake Terrace, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I was sold this as an indoor plant, but it clearly would do better in the garden when it warms, I am 7b/8a easily and should have this going in no time. It deserves little window space. I am just waiting for the soil to warm up. Right now I have about a 3foot stem I would hate to shock.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Jan 29, 2010, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Surely one of the most elegant flowers that can be grown in a semi-tropical garden. Very delicate looking, but easy to grow and tend.

A dozen thumbs up from me!

Jeremy

Positive rosemarysims On Jan 23, 2006, rosemarysims from Mermentau, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I like this plant a lot because it grows in my garden in spite of dry clay, salt spray and drought, and it is sweetly fragrant. It flowers quite a lot and that's a good thing because I'm always picking the 3" flowers to sniff. It is however quite a thug and will quickly trounce across your garden with long vigorous stolons and huge "potatoes", so if you are a tidy gardener, you'd probably like it better growing in a tub which it likes just fine, even in full gulf south sun.

It is easy to propagate from semi soft cuttings in consistently moist but well drained soil, but I've never had to do that as it makes prolific tubers.

The tuberous Sinningias are hardy where ever the ground does not freeze.

Gulf Shores, Alabama