Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Virginia Snakeroot, Black Snakeroot

Aristolochia serpentaria

Family: Aristolochiaceae
Genus: Aristolochia (a-ris-toh-LOH-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: serpentaria (ser-pen-TAIR-ee-uh) (Info)

Grow outdoors year-round

Lincoln, Nebraska

Plainfield, New Jersey

Glouster, Ohio

Stow, Ohio

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Spring, Texas

Leesburg, Virginia

On Jul 1, 2016, Soranne wrote:

I like this plant because it is a pretty, controllable vine that doesn't become invasive. I have had a number of these pop up in the middle of a woods on our property.

We're in Zone 9a in Texas. I don't see any sign of plant stress in our triple-digital heat, but the plants are growing in complete shade.

On Dec 15, 2015, NatureNut25 from Clermont, FL wrote:

I just got 3 of this beautiful plant yesterday and they are wonderful. Also just as a FYI it is native and grows in zone 9a-9b however it doesn't grow any farther south. I'm currently testing if this plant grows well in Miracle Gro potting mix..I've not found any info in regards to that. I will update you on what I find.

On Oct 28, 2012, bfowler from Bunker Hill, WV wrote:

I live in West Virginia (berkeley county) in the eastern panhandle. Yes virginia snakeroot grows here. I have transplanted close to a 100 of these into my woods and several in growing containers in my yard. The ones in the woods I use for seed to start new ones and also sell live root stock from the ones in containers. Most of the transplants are dormant now and they were transplanted this year. So in the spring I should have seed stock.

On Sep 1, 2008, tabasco from Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This Aristolochia serpentaria is a woodland native to our region and grows in the parkland forest bordering our property. Unlike other aristolochias, this unremarkable little green plant grows low to the ground and is often over shadowed by other showier plants along the pathways.

A. serpentaria serves as a host plant for the Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly (Battus philenor) and is probably the most used Aristolochia for Pipevine ST egg-laying in our region. The plant is rarely found in garden centers but seeds or rooted starts are occasionally available on the internet. The seeds lend themselves to the 'wintersowing' seed starting method.

If you are looking for host plants for the Pipevine Swallowtail, another popular host Aristolachia often used by the Pi... read more

On Nov 30, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Virginia Snakeroot, Black Snakeroot Aristolochia serpentaria is native to Texas and other States.